26 - Barbecue

Ben turned out to be fun, once Sage proved herself. He opened up, and she learned from him. He had an easygoing personality which reminded her of Aidan, especially when he sang funny lyrics to songs while he worked. Sage laughed but was more interested in the items the dig had unearthed. The primitive tools helped her understand more about the first people who lived on the continent. She took pictures and jotted down notes and couldn't wait to compare what she saw to her research. Most was consistent with the facts she had learned from Geoff. She was curious to learn more about his visit to the site. Although he talked about it at the dinner with her parents, she wanted to know where he stayed, who he worked with and if he got suckered into buying dinner. Probably not. She was looking forward to some amazing conversations about her research when she returned.

Ginny appeared. "So are we still on for dinner?"

Sage turned to Ben. "Will you join us, my treat?"

Ginny said, "Come on Benny, you can ride down with us."

The three set out to the truck. The other two were whispering and Ben turned to her. "How about barbeque?"

Ginny looked at her, as if she expected a reaction.

Sage answered, "Sure. I'm not so wealthy I can't eat with my hands."

"Good. They have the best mac and cheese," Ginny said.

Sage laughed. "I can make macaroni and cheese and it is the best. Seriously!"

Ben and Ginny laughed along with her. Ben asked, "So are you so rich you dress up in long dresses for parties."

Sage corrected him. "Gowns and occasionally, but not in New York. I live an average life in New York, except most doctoral students don't live in a building with a doorman. Although my apartment is pretty normal."

"Our apartment is way, way uptown, but at least we're in the city." Ginny loved New York.

They reached the truck, and Sage squeezed in the middle of the bench seat. As they bumped on the dirt road, she practically landed in Ben laps.

"Easy there, I don't know you very well."

Embarrassed, she said, "I have a boyfriend." She thought of Aidan, since she couldn't mention Geoff.

"Is he a society guy?" Ginny asked.

"No, he's just a regular guy, but he's sweet and funny." She missed him, as she described him.

Ben said, "I'm sweet and funny. Maybe I'll find a girl to support me."

"Love isn't about one person taking care of the other. It's about a partnership and supporting each other's endeavors," Ginny said to Ben.

"Spoken like a girl who's been in a long distance relationship for almost a year." Ben teased.

"Hey, I saw my guy a week ago." Sage looked at Ginny's profile and could tell she was in love.

"How long have you been in your relationship?" Sage asked Ginny.

"Sixteen years."

"And you're not married?" It surprised Sage.

"Nope, we don't need a piece of paper to be committed to one another. We prove our love in other ways."

Ben started laughing. Under his breath, he said, "I've heard."

Sage was certain she was the only one who heard his remark.

They reached the parking lot and agreed to meet at the restaurant near Sage's hotel in an hour. She was the first one to arrive at the restaurant and was shown to a booth. The bench seats and tables were wooden. Each table had a roll of paper towels, ketchup and hot sauce. The menu was written on white boards. It was all meat and sides of which each was more fattening than the next — mac n' cheese, tater salad, baked beans, french fries, and onion rings. There were no salads or vegetables. Sage was certain they would make fun of her if she ordered a salad, anyways.