17 - The Wish

Sage picked up her phone and read a text from her friend. "He's next door."

As she texted him back, Aidan said, "Princess, you know most people can see their next-door neighbors' house."

She rolled her eyes. "I'll go get him. Then I'll bring him in to meet you."

She had asked him to meet her in the garden. Her mother's garden was a labyrinth and in the center was a fountain.

Aidan followed her downstairs, sat down, and picked up the sports section. She waved to him as she left through another patio door. He wasn't even nervous about being left alone. She like that he was genuinely laid back.

Teddy arrived ahead of her and was looking at the fountain. It wasn't running and had a thin layer of ice in the basin.

"It's depressing." He held out his arms. She fell into his embrace. Three men who made her feel different when each hugged her. Teddy was a comfort. They had developed an odd friendship which started with her first crush. Instead of ignoring her, Ted treated her as a friend and encouraged her second crush on Jon Hayes who was closer to her age.

Of the three families, there were other kids closer to her age, but somehow she and Teddy formed a bond. He was her older brother but without the sibling fights.

"What's wrong?"

"I've created a mess," she cried.

She told him about her lover and he scowled. "Something doesn't add up. You know men are lecherous."

"Aidan thinks he's married, but I asked him and he said no."

Teddy smiled as he sat on a bench and she sat next to him. "Men lie. Who's Aidan?"

"He's a friend. He's here." By the time she finished the story, Teddy was laughing. "It's not funny. Bea wasn't supposed to approve of him and she's acting like she's in love with him."

"I should feel jealous."

Sage knew her mother loved Teddy. "So how are you and Elaine?"

Teddy smiled, "Good. I find myself in a tux more than I'd like, but I amuse myself by planning how I'll get her out of her dress."

Sage slapped him. "You do not!"

"I do. If you think we're gentlemen, you're wrong. Some of us keep our thoughts to the one woman who has given us the privilege. Others are perverts, because they mentally undress every woman."

Sage wondered if Geoff undressed her when he looked up at her in his office.

"So, is it serious?"

He smiled. "It might be. My father wants it to be."

"Ed likes her?"

"He likes the idea of a business merger. Before you freak, I won't agree unless I love her."

"Do you?"

"Probably, it's too soon, but it's heading that way."

"Why do I fall in love immediately?"

"Because you're focused on the physical feelings. Imagine yourself growing old together and him taking care of you when you're sick."

She felt sour in her belly. She couldn't see Geoff holding back her hair as she leaned over the toilet bowl. Her next thought made her feel even less comfortable. Aidan would.

The hibernating garden looked desolate. Only the evergreen hedges had color as they provided shelter from the early March wind she had felt crossing the lawn.

Teddy looked her in the eye. "Think about it he's ten years older than me."

"It's a mess. I really thought one weekend and everything would be fine. My mother would be off my back. I could see Geoff a couple nights a week and Aidan would still be my friend."

Teddy shook his head. He probably disapproved but would never come out and say it. "I think you need a wish." He held out a quarter.

She shook her head. "It's frozen. What about you?"

He shook his head. "I'm not the unhappy one."

"I'm not unhappy."

"Fine. Confused then. It's not that frozen just throw it. Maybe you'll break the ice."

She laughed, so Teddy grabbed a stick and cracked the ice just like they did when they were kids. It quickly broke up leaving little pieces resembling glass floating in the dark water.

She squeezed the coin and shut her eyes tight. I wish for a real boyfriend. She turned to Teddy and smiled. "Happy?"

He nodded and smiled. "So I want to meet my competition in the friend department."

"Where's Elaine?"

"At lunch with friends you know how it is."

Sage wanted to say she didn't live the same life in the city. She wasn't having mimosa lunches and shopping all day. She hadn't had a spa treatment in forever, except for a pedicure every once in a while. Instead, she began their walk through the garden to the house.

Growing up, it was like having a private maze, although there really weren't dead ends. They played hide and seek and knew the pattern like the back of their hand. In the summer on hot days they would spend hours in either the Calhoun's or the Hayes's pool. They were all privileged, but they were allowed to run around like regular kids.

When they entered, Teddy shrugged off his pea coat. Sage smirked because in his jeans and t-shirt, Aidan was the better dressed. She admired his black shirt again when he stood to shake Teddy's hand.

It concerned her, because Aidan had been talking with her parents. Thankfully Bea changed her focus to Teddy while Sage pulled Aidan aside. "What were you talking about?"

He shrugged. "Just investments. We bored your mother." He put his hand on her back and rubbed it. "Relax. I'm having fun."

Aidan walked back to the others. Teddy asked, "Aidan, are you into history?"

"Only recently because Sage makes it fascinating."

He shocked her. "Really?"

He grinned. "Absolutely."

Later after Teddy's lengthy visit, her mother sent Sage, and Aidan upstairs to get ready for dinner. She watched as he flopped himself on her bed.

"I like him. You and him never? I know you like older guys."

She felt the blush. "Maybe a crush, but nothing more. He wasn't too privileged for you."

She sat on the bed and Aidan turned to face her. "You keep forgetting I'm used to Mark. I've been to a few of his houses. So how dressed are we getting for dinner? Do I break out my new suit?"

"You bought a new suit?" He took this visit more serious than she realized.

"Yeah, I needed one and when I picked it up from the tailor, it was the easiest one to pack."

She smiled because he hadn't really bought it for the weekend which was frivolous even to her.

"Wear it and it will disappoint my father you overdressed him."

"How long do we have because your bed feels like I'm floating? I don't want to get up yet."

Feeling tired, she stretched out too. Her bed was big enough for both of them. He motioned for her to come closer. She rested her head on his shoulder. He rubbed her back. "Relax."

Sage woke to soft breathing above her head. The room was dark except for the light coming in from the hallway through the slightly opened door. She moved away from Aidan to check the time.

She would have to wake him, but dressed first. Sage studied his peaceful face. She wanted to watch Geoff sleep, not her friend. Would she ever spend the night in Geoff's arms?

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️