19 - It's Aidan

Sage didn't know why a kiss on her cheek brought on tears. Thankfully, they were the silent kind. She wanted a lover who kissed her goodnight and a boyfriend who was fun.

She shut her eyes and thought about Aidan. Sage imagined he was very different from Geoff in bed. Aidan wouldn't be serious. She thought of cute Holly who knew what Aidan was like during sex and felt the same, as she felt when Geoff was laughing with the conservator. She couldn't be jealous, she didn't even like Aidan.

As if he read her mind, she felt his hand on her back. As he rubbed it, he whispered, "Relax and sleep."

Like magic, she felt herself drifting off. Sage stirred to the faint scent of aftershave. When she opened her eyes, she could see Aidan's Just Do It logo about an inch away. She had somehow burrowed into Aidan's chest. He was still on his side of the bed. She was diagonal across the bed, leaving little room for his larger body.

After she moved herself, she could still feel the pressure of where his hand had rested on her hip. He hadn't stirred, when she slipped away. After looking at the clock, she shut her eyes, because it was only five. Sleep eluded her as her hip missed the feel of a hand.

She pressed her hand onto her hip hoping to erase the feel his hand. She looked at Aidan's features in the dim light. His lashes rested on his cheeks. His nose was straight and his lips were a perfect width — not too thin or plump. Plump lips were for women. His face when analysed individually was perfect. When she looked at him normally, he was just Aidan.

She scanned his arms and made a plan to ask him about his workouts. She only walked at lunchtime, except for sexercise. She was curious to see where the tee tapered at his waist, but she didn't dare lift the blanket.

His steady breathing slowed. "Are you just gonna stare at me?" It came out like a croak.

"Did I wake you?"

He shrugged. "What time is it?"

"Too early. I couldn't sleep."

"Because you're not used to having a man in your bed, princess." Sage didn't feel annoyed by his nickname for her. "Come here."

He turned on his back and she rested her head on his shoulder in a similar position to their nap. The rise and fall of his chest and his hand moving up and down her back relaxed her. He could instantly relax her whenever she was stressed.

Jarred awake from the alarm, Sage groaned, and Aidan tightened his arm into a hug.

"Now, it's morning. Time for coffee. Do I have to wear a suit to breakfast?"

Moving out of his embrace, she stretched. "I'm eating breakfast in the breakfast room wearing pajamas."

"You're allowed to go downstairs in your pajamas?"

"Yeah, are you not allowed at your house?"

"Princess, we don't dress for dinner and some days we didn't get dressed."

"Really!"

"Usually just snow days and sick days."

Heading to the door, she said, "Come on and don't make fun of my hair."

He reached out and ruffled it. "There. Fixed."

It was hard to be annoyed with him. He was too much fun to be around.

It was afternoon when the car made its way to Sage's apartment.

"He can take you home next."

Aidan shrugged. "I thought I'd stop and see Rachel. She'll be eager to hear about our weekend."

"She must think I'm a fool."

"Why would she?" Aidan took her hand and squeezed it. He held it a moment longer before letting go.

Roberto held the door. As they entered with their luggage, Aidan asked, "Is Mrs. Farias in?"

"I'll call up, Mr. Reilly." Sage waited with Aidan. "She said to send you up."

Together they rode the elevator. At Rachel's floor, Aidan hesitated before stepping out.

"Thanks, Aidan."

"It was fun, princess."

The door shut, and she was alone. Suddenly, she was no longer content to be on her own. Thinking of Geoff, she wished he'd stop by, but then he'd leave, too.

Monday morning she kept her eye on the time waiting for a glimpse of Geoff. He arrived with his coffee and she must have looked for too long, because one of her co-workers said, "I could look all day, too."

"Oh! I was just thinking." Thinking about him naked.

"Too bad he's too old. Do you think he's married?"

Jealousy pulsed through her. "I think he must be." Aidan and most likely Teddy thought so.

She breathed a sigh of relief when everyone left for the day, including Geoff's admirer. She was hoping he'd come and check on her research. When he didn't she started down the hall. She heard his raised voice.

"I told you not to ask. My problem is I don't think it's a good idea!"

He sounded angry, but then in a low voice, he said, "I do. I know." She was out of sight but saw him as he covered his eyes and then pinched the bridge of his nose. Without warning, he said, "It's not a good idea. I mean it!"

He put his phone down and sighed. It confused Sage. She couldn't imagine who he would be so angry with. Was it a fight with his wife? Upset, she turned and gathered her belongings and left without speaking to him.

She was a fool. Each step she took toward home she became angrier. As soon as she was in her apartment, she flopped on the sofa. She needed to cry, but the tears wouldn't flow. She was too angry.

The sound of the buzzer startled her. She had stomped past Jimmy without greeting him.

Answering, she said, "Sorry."

Jimmy had called to tell her she had her regular visitor. Feeling sick, she sighed. "Send him up."

Geoff breezed in as if she expected him. "You left."

"You were on the phone fighting with your wife."

"This again. I don't have a wife, but I have had a trying day. I was hoping you'd make me forget."

He reached out to her, but she stepped away. "Tell me who you were talking to!"

"A colleague who is pressuring me to do something I don't want to do."

"What could it be? You're a historian. You aren't Indiana Jones."

"No, but I've spent plenty of time at dig sites."

"Fascinating! I want to go. Maybe Dr. Brownstein can pull some strings."

"It's very boring."

"Are you kidding? We should go together."

Geoff shook his head when there was a loud knock on the door.

A voice called out. "Princess, I saw you come home. You looked upset."

Sage looked at Geoff. "It's Aidan. I have to let him in."

Thanks for voting ⭐️