25 - Archaeological adventure

Sage felt like her life was a roller coaster leading up to her trip. Geoff appeared at the museum on Monday, but disappeared at six without a glance at Sage. There were others still there, so he couldn't speak to her. On Tuesday, they spent the evening together. When she attempted to ask him about being off on Friday, he dismissed her question. She felt like a schoolgirl being scolded.

He came over again on Thursday. The sex was different. There was an urgent, desperate element to it. He even held her before he left and whispered, "I will miss you."

"I'll be gone for less than a week. It's only a little longer than we were apart last weekend. You can call me."

He just smiled and shook his head as if she was a child who disobeyed the rules.

Before he walked out the door, he kissed her. After shutting the door, she frowned. With all her confusion over the past few weeks, he was suddenly acting like he cared about her more than he would admit.

No one at work knew what her vacation entailed. She didn't want word to spread her father bought her into the dig site. Her co-workers didn't know she had family money. Before she left the museum for her week of vacation, he nodded to her and looked sad. She felt confused again.

Her flight was early in the morning so other than saying goodbye to Rachel and Aidan, she packed and went to sleep early.

"Call if you get a chance, Indy."

She wasn't due to the site until Monday, but it was a five-hour drive from Portland. She had never traveled alone. Her vacations typically involved luxury not hours behind the wheel in a rental car. She should have begged Aidan to come with her, although she probably only had to ask.

Arriving safely at her hotel close to the caves, she called her parents to let them know she had made it.

"Was the drive awful?" her father asked. "I should have arranged a helicopter or a small plane. I still could for your return."

"Dad, I have a rental car."

"Honey, I can arrange anything, nothing is impossible."

If you have enough money was the real answer. She knew it was impossible to make Geoff do anything he didn't want to do, like stay the night.

She couldn't text Geoff, but she let Aidan know she had arrived. He called her immediately.

"Hey Princess!"

"Don't mess with me I drove five hours."

"Wow! Long trip."

"I wished you were with me."

"You know I would have come, but I prefer the invite to Saint Thomas. Wasn't Bea going to see about a long weekend?"

"I can't take more time off. But now I need to eat and then sleep. I'm up early."

Her alarm went off at six. She dressed in jeans and hiking boots she bought for the trip. She also wore multiple layers. The morning air was chilly, but she didn't know what to expect when the sun came out.

She followed the directions sent in the letter to a clearing with other cars parked. Before she was out of the car a woman walked toward her.

She had a warm smile and held out her hand. "I'm Dr. Virginia Albright. Everyone calls me Ginny well except my guy calls me Ginger for obvious reasons."

Ginny was a redhead. It wasn't orange or strawberry blonde, but a dark shade of red. She was beautiful and tall. She had breasts which made Sage feel flat, and she wasn't. Geoff loved her breasts. He often marveled at the way they fit his hand perfectly. Sage smiled back and hoped she wasn't blushing.