15 - Uncle Aidan

"So you'll arrive in time for a late lunch. I can't wait to see you and meet Aidan. Aidan, is he Irish?" Bea asked.

"He's American. I have no idea what Ancestry.com would say he is."

"Don't you talk about those things?"

It surprised Sage they hadn't. One of her parents would include it in their interrogation. She felt like she should warn him, but Aidan being unimpressive was part of their grand scheme. They won't like him and would want her to stop seeing him. She would be single in her parents' mind and continue to see Geoff. Hopefully, they wouldn't take issue, if she and Aidan stayed friends.

Bea had been calling every day and asking about Aidan. Sage was glad to be seeing her parents, but the stress of bringing Aidan home was wearing. When Marissa suggested a girl's night she jumped at it.

She brought her dress and shoes to change at the museum. She purposely wanted Geoff to be reminded of what he was missing for the entire weekend. A pulse went through her as she thought about her body under his the night before. The intensity with him was unlike anything she'd ever experienced. When they were in bed, he controlled her. He made her beg and when he finally gave her what she wanted and she exploded into tiny pieces.

Sage hoped to control him when she walked past his office at five-thirty in a dress that clung to every curve.

"Ms. Petersen."

"Yes, Dr. Sutton." She turned back and approached his office.

"How's your research coming along?"

"It's coming along." She stepped up to his desk.

He didn't look at her as he whispered, "Remember your body belongs to me. Do you remember last night?"

"Yes." Her breath hitched.

"In that dress, it would be so easy to take you here on the desk."

"Stop. Come home with me now and I'll tell Marissa, I'm working late."

"No." In his normal voice, he said, "Have a nice weekend."

The entire exchange happened with him pretending to be taking notes. She would bet a hundred bucks he finally looked up when she turned and walked out.

She met Marissa at the bar where she had met Aidan the first time. They sat at a table in the corner. Neither of them were looking to attract the attention of men.

She wondered if her friend was doing it on purpose, but Marissa highlighted all the differences between her relationship with Jed and Sage's with Geoff. Sage held her breath hoping Aidan didn't get thrown into the mix.

Eventually her luck ran out. "Explain to me again why Aidan is going to meet your parents."

"Because I can't bring Geoff and if Bea wants to meet my boyfriend, she will never let it go."

"They'll never approve of Aidan." Marissa had gone home with Sage. She knew the way Sage lived.

"That's the plan. We'll establish he's not right for me, but at least he's my age."

"Oh God, is he really sexy at forty?" Marissa looked disgusted.

"More than you could imagine."

Sage was thinking of the exchange in his office which left her wanting to cancel her plans. Marissa texted Jed again. Sage looked at her phone, but she had no unanswered texts.

Marissa started laughing. "Jed says Aidan's trying to get lucky. Let's go watch."

Sage felt irritated with her information. They had a flight in the morning. She didn't want him oversleeping in some woman's arms. He was also a liar, because he told her he wasn't into sleeping around.

"Come on!" Marissa urged.

Sage had been certain Marissa would end up with Jed before the night was over. When they walked into the crowded bar, her friend made a bee-line for Jed and forced her to follow. She didn't see Aidan and scanning the room her eyes stopped. He was in a cozy corner with a girl. She was beautiful in a girl next door way. Would he cancel on their weekend? She pictured her mother's face as she told her he had picked up another girl.

Once upon a time, Sage felt in control of her life, but she was spinning and didn't know what to hold on to. Geoff. Aidan. her work. She needed to feel grounded. Her perfect life was full of complications. She had grown up sheltered, so much of what she was experiencing was new.

When Aidan appeared, she snapped at him about logistics for their trip. Even she didn't understand why she felt angry with him. He didn't deserve it.

Once they made their way through security, Aidan bought a coffee and a tea for her, while she held their seats and kept an eye on their bags. The voice on the intercom reminded them not to leave their bags unattended.

He handed both cups to Sage as he shrugged out of his coat. She looked him over and liked the way he dressed. Still casual yet presentable in jeans and a black button down. Remembering the first time Geoff came to her with his shirt tucked in, she definitely liked Aidan's untucked look better.

They bantered back and forth about text messages and then about Aidan's former lover. When he reminded her they were only pretending to date, she lashed out and chastised him about getting texts.

"Come on Sage, I just told you Holly and I are long over. What's eating at you?"

"Nothing. Everything."

He put his arm around her and pulled her into him. "You can talk to Uncle Aidan."

"Ew! You make that sound lude!"

"Hey, you're the one dating a guy old enough to be your uncle."

"Don't! Please, not today."

He pulled her a little closer. She liked his support. It helped to ground her. "Hey Aid, how come you never told me about you and the girl. She's really pretty."

"Yeah, she is, but not like a princess." Sage smiled, although Aidan couldn't see her. "To answer your question, we have never discussed past relationships in any detail. You've never told me about anyone you saw before."

"That's because none of them meant anything. This girl meant something to you."

Aidan released his hold on her and pulled back forcing her to look at him. "Maybe at the time, but it was not love. I have thought I found love a few times starting with my first, you know, but it was never real."

"I never had any serious relationships either." Was Geoff serious?

As if he were a mind reader, Aidan said, "Is yours serious with the old man?"

"I don't know." Truthfully, the answer was no.

"Hey! Let's take a selfie and you can send it to your mom to let her know we're ready to board."

Sage laughed, because he ended their serious discussion with some fun. They posed with their heads together multiple times. She sent a text to her mother who replied almost immediately.

Bea: He's so cute

Sage laughed. "What?" Aidan asked.

"She said you're cute." He smiled and laughed. "I'm sending a text to Teddy to let him know I'll be home."

"Your other boy who is just a friend."

Sage laughed. "You may be a boy, but Ted's a man."

An announcement about their flight boarding interrupted Aidan's response.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️

A Million Kisses (Wish 1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara