13 - Damn Aidan

Sage had told Aidan she wasn't stupid enough to think she would marry Geoffrey, yet she had daydreamed about it. Waking up with him and sharing every evening. How stupid was she? He wouldn't even stay for breakfast and she rarely saw him on the weekend. It embarrassed her when Aidan said it was just sex. Did he think she was one of those girls? She had become one of those girls!

As expected, her mother called again and she couldn't avoid her calls. If she couldn't reach her daughter, Bea Petersen would be more persistent.

"Sage dear, tell me about this boy."

Sage laughed despite the situation she was in. Geoff was not a boy.

"He's handsome and I like him for now but he, well he would never fit into our world. I'm young and just want to have some fun."

Hopefully, her mother would relax knowing marriage wasn't imminent.

"Sage, we won't arrange your marriage, but we hope you'll choose wisely."

"I'm a long way from marriage. Can't I just date and get some experience."

"You think I don't know what you mean by experience? You need to be careful."

Bea was on the verge of a lecture Sage already knew word for word about responsibility and respect - for herself, her body and her parents.

Changing the subject from respect, Sage said, "I'm sure you'll share your opinion if I were to choose the wrong man to marry."

Bea laughed. "You'll have a prenup even if you were marrying Ted Calhoun."

Her mother refered to her best friend, Teddy. Calhoun was a large national construction company.

"Mom, it would be the Calhouns making me sign a prenup. Besides, if things keep going well, Teddy will ask Elaine to sign at the X."

"Now back to your boy. Bring him next weekend and we'll see for ourselves. There's something to be said for potential. Does he have a good job?"

"Yes, he works, but I'm not sure he's free or will want to travel or..."

"Sage, you underestimate yourself. You're beautiful and smart. Of course, this boy would want to go anyplace you go."

"You are such a mother." Her eyes rolled, but thankfully her mother didn't see because it was not ladylike. "Remember, I told you we're just having fun, as in not serious?"

"I still expect you both next weekend and I want to hear all about him, but your father is waiting on me for dinner. If I take too long, he'll have another drink."

Sage laughed. Her father had only one drink before dinner and one glass of wine with. Only when required did he have an after dinner drink. The idea of him pouring a second drink was amusing. She didn't care, because it saved her from the conversation.

Damn Aidan and his advice. She was in the same predicament as she was in before. Her mother still wanted to meet Geoff. Geoff, who was on his way over.

When they were the last ones in the department, he came to her and whispered, "I wish I could take you right here. I'll be over tonight."

He sent goosebumps across her entire body. How could a whisper turn her on? Deciding to show her maturity, she commented about an article she was reading. "Did you know there's another excavation in Oregon showing promise for Paleo artifacts?"

"It's my job to know. I know some of the archaeologists."

This piece of information excited her. It was his first mention of friends besides acknowledging he was friendly with Dr. Brownstein.

"You know some of them! I'd love to go visit sometime. Does every historian think archeology is a cool job or is it just me?"

He laughed. "I'm not one for dirt and heat. I like air conditioning. I'm famished. Pick up something other than noodles."

So based on his request, she grabbed burritos. She had trouble eating with Geoff. Her mind was always on other things. Some nights they let the food get cold until after, but he was famished.

Being pulled into his arms after being hands off at work was a thrill she'd never tired of. When he kissed her all doubt just vanished.

His deep voice disappeared into what she recognized as his aroused voice. "If I wasn't so hungry."

He pulled away and unwrapped the food she had left on the counter. The burrito was a heavy meal with beans and cheese and guacamole. She would rather have her lo mein that he teased her about.

She took a deep breath. "My mother called. Aidan's plan backfired."

He stopped eating and looked at her, "Aidan's plan."

"Yes, he told me to tell her you were fine for now, but wouldn't fit into my world. The plan was she would accept it, but she didn't. She still wants to meet you."

"Well, I see you and your friend have been discussing me. Is he the one who caused you to ask me those questions?"

Geoff sounded annoyed. Those questions meant his marital status. "No, that was me because I miss you when you don't come over."

"Apparently, you have Aidan to fill the void."

He was jealous which made her happy. He had to care deeply if he was jealous.

"I want you not Aidan. I have never kissed Aidan."

"I'm sure he wants to kiss you just like a few of the men who work in the basement."

"You're joking." His words shocked her.

Shaking his head, he replied, "They all stare at you when you walk by, but I won the prize."

Was she just a prize? "The prize has a mother who expects her to bring her boyfriend home next weekend."

He laughed like she was a comedian. "I'm not a boy. Bring your friend, I'm sure he fits the boy description."

"What? You want me to ask Aidan to pretend to be my boyfriend? He's too middle class, my parents will hate him."

"Wasn't that the goal?"

She gave it one more attempt. "Are you sure? What if my mother puts us in the same room?"

"I highly doubt it. I'm certain I'm not going. Now let's forget this. You're wearing too many clothes."

She blushed and felt her insides melt.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️