Chapter 9

TATUM🌺

I get to work right on time, meaning right before my boss. When I sit down at my desk I can't help but think about the way Beckham looked at me when I walked off.

No, I wasn't brushing him off, just putting a little distance. This relationship is going a little fast. What was I thinking having sex with him like that, it was completely out of character. But I can't deny that it wasn't one of the greatest experiences I've ever had.

Setting my stuff down at my desk, I flop down into my seat. I didn't get any coffee so I'm running low on caffeine. I should've stopped by the café downstairs.

My best friend, Ruth, seems to sense this deprivation as she comes up to me and places an iced coffee in front of just the way I like it. 2 pumps vanilla, 3 pumps caramel, extra caramel drizzle, and a splash of heavy cream

"I saw you walking through the lobby doors when I was downstairs and you look like you are not having a good day, so here's a pick me up." She takes her desk seat next to me and watches as I take the first sip of the delicious goodness.

"Thank you, Babe. I love you so much."

"Tell Mama Ruth what's wrong."

I roll my eyes and take another sip. "Just guy problems. Things are going really fast with me and Beckham. I don't know."

"Beckham, as in CEO Beckham. Because if so there will definitely be problems."

"No," I say. "Masseuse Beckham. There's more than one Beckham in New York."

The realization finally hits her. "Oh, I remember him. The guy you had sex with before knowing his last name. Wow you suck at having a one fuck stand."

"Shut up," I groan shoving her arm. "I really like him, but things are moving fast."

"Are they really moving fast or are you just so used to making your boyfriends wait months just to come over to your house? And those are only the ones that last long."

I lean back in my chair and take a long swig of my coffee savoring the taste. "You're probably right."

"I am," she says still smiling.

"Well I have until Wednesday to figure out if I'm willing to continue this relationship."

"Why Wednesday?"

"Because I already told him Wednesday."

"Why can't you just un-tell him."

I'm about to reply with a lame excuse when I'm saved by my phone vibrating on my desk. It's Beckham. I pick up after two rings.

"Hey, baby," I answer in a sweet flirty voice.

"So I'm baby now?"

I furrow my brows even though he can't see. "What do you mean?"

Ruth rummages through her desk and pulls a pair or earbuds out, dangling them in my face. "Let me hear," she whispers before taking my phone and plugging them in and shoving one into her ear.

Reluctantly I take the other one it stick in it quick enough to catch the end of Beckham's deep sigh.

"You became standoffish after what happened in the kitchen." I can practically hear the smirk in his voice. Ruth turns to me eyebrows raised. I ignore her.

"I wasn't...what happened in the kitchen wasn't bad."

He scoffs. "Wasn't bad? What's going on, Sugarlips?"

I smile at the nickname. "Nothing, Beckham."

Ruth makes a muffled groan and I know what's coming next isnt going to be good. So I quickly cover her mouth before her lips can fly loose.

"I want to see you. I need to see you." His voice softens. "Why are you scared?"

I don't answer. I don't have an exact answer to that question.

"When is your lunch?" He asks.

"Beckham—"

"Tatum, when is your lunch," he repeats.

I hesitate before telling him 1 o'clock.

"Meet me at Lu's. I'm paying."

"Bec—"

"1 oclock, Tatum."

"Lock & Grill. And I'll be there."

"Fine."

I roll my eyes and hang up.

"You going to meet him?" Ruth asks.

"Yeah, we need to talk."

For the next 5 hours I work diligently until lunch. I'm nervous as I walk the two blocks to Lock & Grill. But this should be good. A public place that will prevent us from having any form of intercourse and allow us to just talk and figure things out. Or at least help me figure things out.