Chapter 14

#RTG14 Chapter 14

I waited for Sean to come home... pero walang Sean na umuwi sa condo... The next day, I told myself that I needed to go to work because it was my first day after promotion... but I still found myself driving to the hospital. Hindi ko alam kung gaano ako katagal na nasa loob lang ng sasakyan. I just stared at the steering wheel in front of me, trying to come up with an explanation good enough to appease his anger...

But I got nothing.

I just... God, I just never wanted kids.

Some women were born to be mothers—hindi ako isa roon.

I walked to the nearest coffee shop and got a coffee for Sean. Ni hindi ako maka-inom ng kape because my stomach was churning from the possible fight that I might have with Sean.

I was used to arguing with people—heck, I argue for a living! But arguing with Sean was something new... We have always been at synch... This was the first problem we encountered... Hindi ko alam kung paano siya kakausapin.

Habang naglalakad ako sa hallway, nakita ko si Kelsey. She politely smiled and greeted.

"Have you seen Sean?" I asked.

"I think he's in the quarters," she replied. "You go straight and then turn right. The last room on the right," she continued nang hindi ako maka-galaw dahil hindi ko alam kung saan iyon.

I thanked her bago ako naglakad papunta roon. Nang makarating ako, huminto ako sa harap ng pintuan. I took deep breaths... Hoping that those were enough to calm me down...

Then, I knocked.

'Here goes nothing,' I told myself.

Kumatok akong muli, pero walang sumasagot. I tried to open the door... bukas naman. Doon ko nakita si Sean na naka-higa sa bunk bed. He was wearing his headphones and his eyes were open, naka-tingin lang sa itaas...

"Sean," I called. "Sean," I called louder.

Agad siyang napa-tingin sa akin. He stared at me for a second bago siya naupo at tinanggal iyong headphones niya.

"You should be at work," he said after looking at his watch.

"I need to talk to you more," I replied.

"Can we please not?" he asked. "I'm still trying to think and I really don't want to fight with you," sabi niya bago tumayo. He removed his shirt and changed into a new one. Sinuot niya rin iyong sapatos niya and saka kinuha iyong coat and stethoscope niya.

"Sean," I called again.

"Isobel, please. I just learned that my wife doesn't want to have kids with me—ever. I need to think," sabi niya bago mabilis na lumabas ng quarters. Mabilis din akong sumunod sa kanya. "Just go to work."

"But I want to talk to you."

"We'll talk later."

"When is that later?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"Yeah, I don't know. Like how you don't know why you don't want to have kids with me," mabilis niyang sagot. Agad akong napa-hinto. Was it possible that a single sentence could crush your world? Because his did surely crush mine...

Pero hindi ako nagsalita.

Kasi ayoko ring makipag-away sa kanya.

I knew it was my fault—I completely take the blame dahil hindi namin napag-usapan 'to... I should've told him that I didn't want to have kids... But I wasn't constantly thinking about that... I don't spend my days thinking about kids—my life does not revolve around that... It just completely slipped my mind.