Epilogue

#RTGEpilogue Epilogue

"Mom!" I called.

"Almost done!"

I shook my head in disappointment. I bet she's finding that goddamned camera again. I didn't know why she's still obsessed with filming every milestone in my life.

My phone pinged again.

"Mom!" I called again. "Dad said he's in the airport already and he'll just take the cab!"

"Okay!" she shouted back.

This graduation day was already proving to be a mess. I told Mom again and again that she should wake up in time. I told her that I wanted to pick up Dad from the airport. He bought me a car and it's the first time that I'd be able to drive him around. Thought I told him that there's no need to get me a car.

When Mom finally emerged from her room, she was wearing a yellow dress.

"You look like a fucking sunflower."

"God, your language, Sandro."

What? I needed to speak like this—otherwise, my fucking classmates would walk all over me. Those assholes. So what if I was a product of infidelity? Was it my fault? Did I choose to be born that way?

Besides, my parents already paid plenty for that.

People should learn how to move on.

"Let's go," I said.

We went to my car. When Dad learned that I got my license, he called a car dealer and arranged for me to have my own car. I was so confused as to why I was choosing a car... until the guy told me that my Dad already paid for the car.

Insane.

The school was already filled with a lot of people—students and their families alike. I said hi to a couple of friends—using the term friends loosely because I never really felt 'at home' here. When I was a lot younger, I used to tell my teachers that I was being bullied... but all those were ignored. I learned the hard way that it is only me who will defend me.

"Do you wanna take pictures with your friends?" Mom asked.

"I'm good," I replied as my eyes kept on scanning for Dad. In his last text, he said that he's already near here. He should be around here.

"Hey, Sandro, wanna take pics with us?" Janet, one of my classmates, asked. I smiled and took pictures with them. She winked at me after. I just politely smiled.

"Who was that?" Mom asked.

"No one."

"Your girlfriend?"

"I don't have a girlfriend," I replied. I was always busy studying... that's why I wasn't really at all bothered when they called me nerd. I mean, was that even an insult?

"You'll sit with Dad," I told her.

"Yeah, I know."

"And you're okay with that?"

"Of course," she replied.

Since the first time we went to the Philippines for a vacation, we always managed to go there every summer. Every December, Dad would go to Seattle to visit. But he didn't stay at our house—he always rented his own place. I never really saw my parents talk. They'd just engage in very civil conversation every now and then.

"You know where to sit, right?" I asked Mom and she nodded. "I'll just go find Dad. Maybe he's lost," I said before I proceeded to look for him.

As I was walking, I saw a lot of complete families... When I was a lot younger, I used to envy that... I mean, why couldn't my parents be together? Surely, that would make everything a lot easier. But then I saw one of my classmates crying. I asked her what was wrong. She told me that her parents kept on fighting and that they're going to get divorce. I told her that maybe they'd still get back together, I thought that was her problem. But I was wrong. She was crying because she couldn't live with the shouting anymore. She just wanted them to separate because that would make everything okay.