Chapter 13. Looking for girls in the forest

GUYS!

Caught in Time got in 3rd place in The Ruby Awards 2nd Edition, Romance Category!!! WOHOOO! Thank you all for reading and supporting the story!

Love you all!

-Keegan-

Cara had been missing for days. There was not a trace or sign of her anywhere. Not a footprint or even a broken twig to tell where she had disappeared to. What caused the whole family more distress concerning her disappearance was that no one in the village had even seen Cara to begin with, if you did not count the priest and Jared. So, they had no one to turn to in order to ask if they had possibly seen her or the people who took her.

Keegan had spent his days searching for Cara in the woods and he had especially looked around the area where they had found her from the start. Since it was still a mystery why she had ended up where she did, then he figured that it could be possible that she could end up there again. From there he also checked the hole underneath the tree where she had sought refuge from Orla and him, but it was empty.

Jared had joined Keegan on every occasion he went to the woods but that was all he could help him with, he had not told his family or anyone else about the Ember's new addition, and therefore he could not do much more than help Keegan look for her.

Keegan was on his way back after searching the area where Orla had last seen Cara, as he had already done multiple times before. The rain poured down and he was soaked all over. Blackie trotted slowly next to his owner and seemed to be in an equally gloomy mood as Keegan was. The dog was usually very cheerful but now his head was lowered somewhat, and it felt like he knew something was not right.

He had brought the black beast with him to see if he could pick up Cara's scent from his coat, but the rain had washed away all hope there was to find her that way. Blackie searched the ground wherever Keegan pointed and he did it meticulously, but came up with nothing.

"She can't just disappear like this. Someone has to have seen something!" His mother exclaimed in desperate frustration when Keegan entered the house after the fourth day of coming home emptyhanded. His mother was standing by the door as he entered. When he shook his head to her unspoken question she walked over to the table and sat down on one of the chairs.

"No one knows she even exists, mother..." Orla mumbled from where she was standing, in the window; studying the storm raging outside the little rugged house.

Returning home alone, like all the other days, Keegan could not help but to feel defeated. He shrugged his shoulders in response to his mother's protest. The rain that poured down outside now drenched the floor beneath his feet when he took his coat off and hung it by the door.

"Maybe she did leave?" Flynn suggested sighing, sounding very sad. Keegan grimaced quickly but then buried his reaction deep down. The thought that Cara could have simply just left them by her free will caused him an indescribable sense of loss, and a strange pain spread throughout his body. A part of him had honestly believed that she would have stayed with them, for an indefinite period of time.