Chapter 15. A New Home

A little delayed, and a little longer chapter for you! 

I hope you like it! 

-Keegan-

"What happened?" Jared asked apprehensively as Keegan exited the enormous bush. He stood with his hands at his sides, anxiously waiting for an answer.

Jared's face was easy to read; he was terrified that they had hurt her, which they had. Fortunately, she was not as hurt as she could have been. From what Keegan could tell by the look on her face, the knife had made a semi deep cut. Even if it was not 'good', it could have gone a lot worse.

"She fainted." Keegan told Jared in a calming tone, indicating that Cara was alright. 

It succeeded. Jared exhaled in relief, bent down for a moment and then stood upright again. It took him about two seconds before he saw her bloody cheek. He grimaced instantly, guilt and terror played in his eyes when they met Keegan's.

"Did the knife..." He began but turned silent when his eyes returned to the cut on her cheek. The rest of the sentence was left unsaid. 

"Yes." Keegan mumbled and studied her face.

The cut was still bleeding and it needed tending to. He turned his eyes back to Jared, whom were still grimacing with guilt.

"She is fine. I think. It is just a cut..." He assured him. "We need to go back, she is..." 

As he spoke Jared's eyes fell a bit and studied the naked legs that hung over Keegan's left arm. He had only managed to cover the vital parts of her. At the very least this would keep her honor intact, for whatever it was worth. 

I have seen her naked before... but to not cover her would rob her of her honor. He pondered, even though he would not dream of doing anything else. 

"Is she naked, again?" Jared asked in shock, although it was obvious. Keegan nodded. "Your coat barely covers her." He stated, pointing at her legs. "Maybe you should..."

"I cannot readjust my coat, then it will not cover... the rest of her..." He answered awkwardly and adjusted his grip around her body. "Give me yours so I can cover her properly." Keegan breathed in frustration and struggled with doing anything else than standing there, holding her. "It is not exactly like I can adjust it myself." He nodded at his hands which were clearly full.

"Give you my coat?" Jared laughed, although he was not amused. He could not believe what he was hearing. 

"Yes." Keegan answered sighing. "Come on. I need to take her back home. Mother needs to tend to the wound as soon as possible." 

Jared looked like he was molding something over in his mind. His hands were still st his hips, making him look even deeper in thought than he probably was.

A long silence passed before he opened his mouth again.

"That will cost you three tankards." Jared muttered while he took his coat off. Keegan could not help but to chuckle at the not so surprising demand.

That's all?

"Fine. Three tankards." He muttered. "In total!" Keegan added the last part quickly.

It would not have surprised him if Jared would try to demand three additional tankards on top of the first one he had been promised. 

"You better keep that promise, Ember. I will hold you to it." Jared locked eyes with him and they warned him against violating their agreement. "Or I will hit you in the balls again."