Chapter 26. I Want You

Okaey my darlings, I am way too tired to proofread this chapter again. Sooo... please let me know if there are any errors (I am sure there are a lot) I do not take any offense, I am only grateful for the help! 

Enjoy!

-Keegan-

When he came around the house Cara was nowhere to be seen. The only person he saw was his mother, who was sitting on her knees in the middle of the vegetable garden. She was looking in the direction of the road leading into the village. 

Cara must have run past her in a hurry. Where the hell is she going?  He wondered and stopped to catch his breath. His mother immediately noticed his presence and turned to look at him. Her face expressed the very same confusion he himself was experiencing.

"Did Cara-" He began. 

"She just ran past me." His mother answered before he had the time to finish his sentence. "She looked like she was running from the devil himself." His mother pondered and her eyebrows furrowed in concern. "I think she was crying as well... What happened?" She asked curiously with a hint of concern in her voice as well. 

Really? She is asking what happened before she berates me? This is the first time she doesn't assume that I did something to her. He thought and felt relieved, but mostly shocked. 

"She just asked me some questions and... She started mumbling to herself and then she just ran off." He began. "I did not do anything disrespectful." 

I think.

"What kind of questions did she ask you?" His mother asked, incapable of waiting for him to explain. 

"She asked me about Tranmere, the kingdom and which year it was." He answered and frowned as he tried to go through what they had discussed. Then he looked at his mother again, whom didn't seem like she had become any wiser from his answer. "And then she panicked and ran away." He sighed.

"She asked which year it is?" His mother asked confused. He nodded and felt the same way. "The only ones who care about that are priests and travelers." She concluded. "And travelers only care because they need to keep track of how long they have been gone... Why would Cara care what year it is?" She asked but did not expect Keegan to answer her. It was more of a general wondering. 

I better go after her. He thought as his mother gave him a strange look.

"What is it?" He asked and tilted his head a bit when she did not stop looking at him like something was wrong. 

"Be careful, Keegan..." His mother told  him out of the blue.

"Careful? About what?" He asked, frowning slightly at her. Was she warning him? About what? About Cara? That would be ridiculous. 

His mother gave him with a look only a mother could give her child. In it he saw that she was deeply concerned about the things he had just told her. 

Maybe I should not have told mother about this... 

"About Cara." She answered reluctantly, like the words tasted bad in her mouth. 

"What about Cara makes you think that I should be careful?" He wondered and crossed his arms. "She has done nothing wrong." 

"I just want you to be careful, Keegan." His mother said quietly and lowered her eyes into the dirt beneath her. "We know nothing about the poor girl and-"