Chapter 14. Cuts and Bruises

-Cara-

The rain was literally covering every inch of her body as she stumbled over roots and stones in the woods. She shivered all over and was the most uncomfortable she had ever been in her life. Or rather; the most uncomfortable she could remember.

Cara had been walking for what felt like hours and was getting exhausted. Apart from being soaking wet and freezing, her knees were scraped after having fallen multiple times. They were bleeding and dirty, as were her palms from breaking her falls and having to get herself up after every time she'd fallen.

Just to make her living hell even worse, her lower abdomen was hurting intensely and nausea clouded her mind. It felt as if she wanted to throw up when she breathed.

The smell of when moss and dirt was the only thing that kept her spirit up. She loved every breath she took in of the scent, even though she almost threw up afterwards. The smell of rain and the nature around her was soothing and for some reason it made her feel at peace. Almost like a memory... One she could not remember.

"There has to be someone around..." She whimpered and looked around. There was not even a path to walk on and her feet were aching from trampling through the rough terrain. She stood completely still, feeling her toes sink into the wet moss beneath them.

Out of nowhere she heard voices shout in the distance. She looked in front of her, slightly to the right, where the voices were coming from.

A part of her wanted to run towards it, but she hesitated. Nothing assured her that it would be Keegan, or his family.

Why did I think of him first...? She wondered but somehow she already knew the answer. There was something about Keegan... and the way he looked at her whenever they were in the same room.

Nervously she decided to stay hidden whilst trying to get closer to whomever were shouting. It could easily be a stranger that would hurt her.

-Keegan-

"I need to speak to Jared." Keegan told his friend's mother who opened the door a short moment after he has knocked. The rain was pattering loudly against the windows of their house, and the stone tile he stood on had small pools here and there.

"Do you know what time it is, boy?" She asked him with her hand over her mouth, yawning. "And you need him to go with you, again? What are you two doing in the woods nowadays?" She questioned Keegan and leaned against the door. "You stay out for hours but come back empty handed every time. Did all the animals just disappear or are you not hunting?"

Do not remind me that I leave empty handed each time...

The sound of a door opening behind Jared's mother reached Jared.

"Stop your meddling, mother!" Jared's voice called from inside of the house as he hurried over and made her leave. She muttered dissatisfied as he shooed her away.

"If could at least bring some rabbits back so we can have a decent meal this evening..." She muttered before she left them.

"Just... Just leave, mother!" Jared exclaimed and rolled his eyes. He took a step out and closed the door behind him and observed the awful rainfall.

Keegan did not have to explain why he was there, Jared already knew perfectly well why.

"It is very early, Keegan... and the weather is absolute shite, are you aware of that?" Jared asked and crossed his arms. Keegan nodded.

"I am aware... I will buy you a round at the tavern." He said and did not even try to smile or make the offer more sweet. It was already sweet enough for Jared. He would never turn down a drink.