Secrets Of The Past

This one is just beautiful. bts, trans!lance

found here:https://archiveofourown.org/works/14859269

secrets of the past

jilliancares

Lance had a love-hate relationship with building the Voltron coalition.

Like, sure, getting out of the castle and getting to do missions that didn't involve just flying around in their lions and shooting down Galra scum was always nice, but they could never quite know what to expect. Sometimes they strolled up to a planet and almost immediately had a whole new population on their side and willing to fight, and other times, these planets for some reason wanted something in return. You know, besides Voltron's promise to protect them and save the entire fucking universe, because clearly that wasn't enough.

"You want... to put us through a trial?" Allura said, her eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. Lance didn't blame her. It wasn't very often they were asked to prove themselves, considering the fact that anyone being free from Galra reign was kind of a literal testament to their strength.

"Yes indeed," said Reinan, the leader of the Amalax, which was a species that had more eyes than could possibly ever be necessary, Lance was sure. Still, that didn't stop them from having eyes literally everywhere, blinking all out of order and rolling around in their sockets seemingly without purpose. "It is important to our people to clearly see our allies' intentions and abilities."

Lance, unable to help himself, leaned towards the person closest to him - Keith. He snorted quietly into his ear, whispering, "Ha! Clearly see." Keith elbowed him in the side, though that didn't stop Lance from noticing the way the corner of his mouth twitched upward.

"We feel that, should you undergo our trial, we will receive the knowledge and clarity we desire. Only afterwards will we agree to ally ourselves with the coalition."

After appearing to give it some thought, Allura spoke up. "We will agree to participate in your trial," she announced, which - duh. They were kind of desperate for an alliance with the Amalax, considering their terrific military power along with their slight divination abilities. With any luck, they'd be informed of any important occurrences or activity in the Galra ranks before they should conceivably be able to know it. They just needed this stupid alliance first.

"Wonderful!" Reinan said, clapping her hands together and making Lance wince, because honestly, her hands were covered in eyes - how did that not hurt?! "The trial is simple. The future is of immense importance to my people, but of equal importance to us is the past." As she spoke, she stood, another person coming quickly to stand at her elbow, holding a cloth bag. The two of them came forward to stand before the Paladins, and as Reinan continued to speak, her assistant handed them each what looked like a pill from the bag. "All you must do is prove that you can work together despite the circumstances of time. Paladins, Princess, if you will." He gestured towards the pills in their hands, and as one, they put them in their mouths.

Immediately, the pill dissolved on Lance's tongue, no need for water necessary. The next thing he knew, every one of his limbs were feeling heavy, trying to sink to the ground, and he blinked his eyes slowly a few times, idly hopping they hadn't been tricked and poisoned. He managed to make eye contact with Keith, who looked like he was trying to show surprise and fear through his mask of sudden exhaustion.

And then the feeling went away, and with it, everything else. Lance was whisked into a new place entirely. Still very clearly on the same planet they'd been on, just some place different, and Lance was alone. This was the first thing he noticed. The second thing, however...