To Build A Home

To Build A Home

Queerklancing

found here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/16813915

Work Text:

Keith huffs as he drops the heavy box onto the fully packed truck-bed. His hair sticks to his sweaty forehead and he wipes it away with his forearm. He probably looks like a mess, but he couldn't care less.

"That's the last one," he says with a heavy sigh as he turns on his heels.

"Are you sure you have everything? Did you pack your clothes? Pictures? Oh! Don't forget your grandma's mirror, she'd be mad if you don't take it with you!"

"Mom," Lance groans. "I have everything. Yes, even grandma's mirror. I'll make sure to put it up, so she can haunt me in my dreams."

"Don't be rude!"

Lance's mom may be two heads smaller than him, but her personality is bigger than both of them combined. The moment Keith had met her for the first time, he knew where Lance got all his radiant energy from. A fond smile finds its way to his lips as he watches them bicker playfully, but he also can't help but feel a tiny sting in his heart.

Keith misses his mom. Krolia is still out in space, helping and fighting the Galra. After the war had ended, the Blade made it their mission to help those in need and fight those who are still yearning for power. Keith can't help but worry a bit. His mom is strong, he knows that, and Kolivan is by her side, but he experienced firsthand how dangerous this work is. He spent two years travelling with them after all.

"Keeeith, can you please tell my mom that we're ready to go?" Lance whines, turning towards him.

Keith chuckles as he crosses his arms in front of his chest. "I don't know, are we? Don't you want to check again?"

The look of utter betrayal on Lance's face is enough to steal a laugh from Keith's lips.

"I told you, carino!"

Lance rolls his eyes and groans. "Mom, for the last time!"

Keith leans back, the edge of the car bumping into the small of his back as his mouth curls into an amused smile. The sun is already high in the blue sky; it took them longer than expected to get everything down from Lance's room. A mild breeze ruffles Keith's long hair. He should really get a haircut soon. Maybe Lance will do that for him.

Keith's eyes roam over Lance's form, the way he leans forward as he argues with his mom, hands gesturing wildly. He grew quite a bit in the years Keith was gone - he's still shorter than him though - and the quiet lifestyle on earth did Lance good. The dark bags under his eyes are gone, thanks to the access to skincare products as Lance likes to tell him, but Keith knows it's all thanks to his family.

Lance is even more beautiful now. His boyish features are gone, and his face is the perfect balance of soft curves and sharp lines. Keith's eyes soften and his heart swells in his chest when he looks at the sweatshirt Lance is wearing. It's too big on him, and he had to roll up the sleeves, but that's to be expected when you steal it from your boyfriend.

Sometimes Keith still can't believe that this is his life. That Lance is really by his side, loving him fearlessly and with the burning passion of a million stars. It took Keith quite some time to accept that Lance felt just as strongly about him. Especially after he fled into space to join the Blade. Again.

It took him another two years in space with his mom to realize that these feelings he kept hidden inside his chest weren't going to leave. Instead, they grew even stronger with every second, every lightyear he was away from Lance. It was his mom who basically kicked him off her spaceship, telling him to not get back until he sorted out whatever was distracting him form his mission.