Metamorphosis

Found here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/10698390

Metamorphosis

Manga_Otaku121344

Metamorphosis
-noun

Biology. a profound change in form from one stage to the next in the life history of an organism, as from the caterpillar to the pupa and from the pupa to the adult butterfly.

When Keith and Shiro returned from The Blade of Marmora headquarters, attack planning for a full out offensive against Zarkon had begun immediately. It held everyone's attention and was the number one priority. Due to this single focus, Shiro forgot the fact that Keith should probably spend some time in a healing pod after all he had endured during his trial, just for safe measures.

Keith wasn't complaining though and he wasn't about to bring it up. He had no intentions of leaving the discussion unless he was dragged out. Besides, he was fine. Only a lingering, dull ache made its self known across his right shoulder where he was first hit. There was nothing to warrant concern though. He had full range of motion with out any increases in pain; it would be bruised at most.

As Keith undressed for the night he checked the wounded area. Sure enough, there was a nasty purple, almost black, bruise spanning the height of his shoulder blade. After lightly prodding it a bit, Keith let the bruise be and headed to bed.

The pain was quick to fade but the bruise stayed stubbornly put. It wasn't until after he and Hunk had returned from retrieving the scaltrite that Keith realized something was...off.

Keith ran his left hand gingerly over the bruise, tracing the edges with his finger tips. It was larger. The center, the original bruise, was still an ugly, dark purple, but the edges -which know reached farther down his torso and to the right towards his arm- were a fainter purple. It almost didn't seem like a bruise, more like a stain. This lighter area wasn't tender, like the core of it was, either. Perhaps during the mission he had hit his shoulder without realizing it. Could that cause the bruise to spread? Keith made a mental note to keep an eye on it before continuing on with his daily routine.

As the sun rose on the day of the attack Keith was certain that this was not a bruise. The bruise, it's self, was practically healed; leaving healed, unblemished, light purple skin in its wake. The discoloration had spread way past its origins and now covered most of Keith's middle, his left arm was the only part of the torso that held its aboriginal paleness.

It was apparent now, his knife wasn't the only thing that awoken during the trial.

Shiro was gone; disappeared after the mostly successful attack on Zarkon. That was a month ago. Before the attack Shiro sat everyone down for a talk. To his small audience made of the paladins, Allura, and Coran, the former black paladin made it clear that if anything where to happen to himself, Keith would pilot the black lion. Looking back now, it was almost as if Shiro knew he wouldn't be coming back with everyone else.

However, piloting the black lion and leading Voltron were just two more things on Keith's plate. His most pressing concern at the moment didn't involve the wellbeing of the universe but rather his current cosmetic condition. The rate of the change from yellow undertones to to purple tint was rapidly accelerating. His entire torso and down to his knees had been recolored. Even his hands were now sporting purple. Keith was quick to change his clothing accordingly. He made sure to keep the offending color hidden anytime he wasn't alone. His fingerless gloves were exchanged with ones that completely encased his hands. His jacket stayed on at all times unless it was during training; a long sleeve shirt was then adorned. Was it preferable? No. Was it comfortable? No. Did it feel like he could pass out from a heat stroke at any moment? Yes.