i love who?

I Love Who?

BleuSarcelle

found here:https://archiveofourown.org/works/20835053

"You can be a hard guy to find when you want, did you know that?"

Lance recognizes the voice instantly and yet he still throws his head back, if only to get an excuse to stare at Keith as he makes his way down to join him for a little longer than he's allowed to.

"Well, if it isn't my favorite mullet!" Lance coos from his spot by the edge of the pier, cackling when Keith kicks him on his right thigh once he reaches his side. "Ah, jeez, alright! I yield!"

"Heck yeah," Keith celebrates briefly under his breath with a proud grin, making Lance snort with a roll of his eyes. He pats the empty spot next to him, a silent invitation.

"Watching the sunset?" Keith asks once he sits, nodding towards the sun that slowly sinks into the ocean.

Lance nods. "When you miss it once, suddenly you can't get enough of it," he confesses quietly, a fond look on his eyes before he turns to meet Keith with a crooked grin. "Feels oddly familiar, right? You, me, and the sunset?"

"We're just missing a big mechanical lion," Keith mumbles, a small laugh leaving his lips as he pulls one knee close to his chest.

Lance hums, kicking his leg in the air from where they dangle on the edge.

"That and the love problems," he chuckles, rolling his eyes at the memory. "God, I still can't believe I wore a bucket."

"You looked really handsome," Keith comforts as a mock, patting Lance on the back and laughing when the brunet shoves him by the shoulder.

"Shut up!" Lance yelps, a dark flush growing on his cheeks, which only makes Keith laugh harder. "This might as well be a deja-vu, ya know? But maybe now it's your turn to have embarrassing love problems."

Keith snorts, rolling his eyes at the suggestion. "I don't have love problems, Lance."

" I don't have love problems, Lance. " Lance mocks, making a face as he echoes Keith's words and uses his hand as a puppet. He yelps when Keith flicks him on the cheek. "Ow, rude , and everyone has love problems, man."

"I don't," Keith says confidently, shrugging with one shoulder when Lance purses his lips at him. "I mean, I don't see it as a problem , it's just - it is what it is."

Lance blinks, all the teasing being thrown to the ocean as soon as he carefully takes in his friend's expression.

Keith doesn't look troubled. Or sad. He looks resigned and tired, as if he had given his all and yet the battle had been lost since the start.

"Hey man," Lance calls softly, offering a small smile and a nudge on the shoulder meant to encourage. "Whatever it is, problem or not, I'm here for you. You know that, right?"

Keith blinks. Slowly until his eyes stay wide open, as if waiting for Lance to take it back. As if the option of venting to someone had never crossed his mind.

Classic Keith.

"I mean , it's honestly nothing," Keith tries to brush it off, clearing his throat as he looks away. "It's dumb."

See, Lance's heart breaks at the words, because: one, Keith has no business to ever feel like he doesn't deserve the world and two, one of his deepest fears came true.