A Lovely Night

We left the office side by side but with no interaction other than bidding each other good night.

It must have been around eleven to have so little traffic. There was practically nobody walking on the streets.

I covered my face with my scarf and rubbed my hands together.

I could stop for a quick snack, right?

I haven't eaten ever since breakfast, and the stomach was demanding for sweets. There was a nearby bakery around five minutes from here.

No, but it's probably closed.

And the only stores open are the fast-food restaurants. It's too much work having to hold a bag full of grease home. Eating in was not an option.

You never know who's watching you in the building.

I rubbed my hands again, losing feeling of my fingers from the cold. It was supposed to rain tonight. And I think I forgot my umbrella back at work.

It's too much work walking back though...

"You take this route as well?" I stiffened at his voice.

"I thought you lived over there," I pointed to the other direction.

Akechi shook his head and caught up to me.

"No, I live right around the corner," He replied.

That's where the train station is, right? How could he handle all the noise in that area? It's always busy on weekdays.

"Oh, well, that's close to our workplace," I sighed, feeling my breath freeze from the cold.

"It is very convenient," He nodded.

We both walked in silence yet again. He wanted to say something. He keeps giving me these glances when I wasn't looking. What could he possibly want?

I waited a couple minutes.

Silence.

That was until they spotted us.

A group of girls squealed from across the street. Then, our faces were hit with the flashlight of their cameras as they tried to get a photo of Akechi.

I raised my arm and hid my face, not wanting to be exposed to the media. I don't want to be in the media. My image as a detective runs at risk if they find out Akechi and I are partners.

It's always how things go.

The boy gets all the attention and opportunities while the girl is practically forced into a society where all that matters in life is your image rather than success.

"They seemed to have found me... How wonderful..." He sighed. I looked at him from the corner of my eyes and saw him pull out my umbrella.

"You forgot it on your desk. I wanted to give it to you," He said, noticing my questionable look before opening the umbrella and hiding us with it. "Let's avoid them before they have the chance to cross the street."

So we ran.

It wasn't until we made it to the park when we stopped running. Running in heeled boots wasn't comfortable. I kept tripping over them, trying to keep up with him.

I sat on a bench and doubled over my knees, trying to catch my breath. Akechi was leaning over the bridge to get fresh air.

"How do you handle such fans? I'd die if they chased me like this every time I'm outside," I huffed.

"You get used to it after the fifth time..." He sighed, running his hand through his hair. "I'm sorry I had to get you involved in such a mess-"

"No, we didn't know it would happen. At least you weren't alone this time," I chuckled and walked over to him. I could see my apartment building from here. The lights from the other apartments were what was lighting up the park, other than the very dim lanterns hung over the bridge.