Chapter 17

I thought it was going to be cold but it was pretty warm outside. I was on the curb of the parking lot and waited for Ryuji to leave the convenience store.

"I got the snacks," He announced, shaking the bag vigorously before sitting next to me.

"Brownies? They sell these things here?" I frowned as I tore the plastic and took a bite out of it.

It had too much chocolate. I struggled chewing it.

"They ain't that good but at least it's something," Ryuji took out an energy drink and took a sip.

"Yes, it is something..." I cleaned my fingers and covered the treat with its plastic wrapper.

He laughed and leaned back with his arms supporting his weight.

"Shit, today was rough..."

"How far are we in the palace?"

"Like two-thirds? Akira always spends the first days getting as far as possible."

"What do you do when you're done with the palace then?"

"We just hang tight until the deadline," Ryuji shrugged. "Without him, we wouldn't even be close to finishing Kaneshiro's palace..."

"And you are comfortable saying this out loud because...?"

"No one'll understand. Only we do because we've been in the metaverse. Hell, maybe if we say it louder, we might figure out who that dude with a black mask is."

"That's absurd. No one would be careless to give their identity away. You're the only one capapble of-"

"Gah! I know, I know! I'm way too obvious. Jeez, it's bad when the cat says it."

"Morgana often takes his insults too far on you, doesn't he?" I frowned at him as he scratched the back of his neck and nodded.

"Jeez, and he gets hurt when I try saying shit to him..."

"It's just how he is. I don't agree with his treatment towards you, but it makes things worse when you return an insult too."

"What else am I supposed to do? Ignore him?"

I nodded and smiled.

"It will be hard, but Morgana will eventually realize that his words don't mean anything anymore. That's how I avoided the media for so long. Their rumors were shut down and I didn't add anything to feed their fire."

"Y/N, I'm being bullied by an effin' cat."

That's a new sentence. I covered my mouth and tried to preserve the upcoming laugh ready to burst.

"Did you see how he looked at Ann when they both performed their showtime? He looked so ridiculous!"

"Oh yeah! And the look Ann gave her too! Priceless!" He threw his head back and laughed. "Dude, I gotta admit, that was awesome though."

"Indeed. I wonder what other duo attacks we'll have in the future," I took a deep breath and cleared my throat. "I don't really know if I want to do one though. I might screw up in my part."

"You screw up? Dude, you never fail at shit. You and Makoto have the same test scores and everything- Shit! I forgot to study for a test!"

"You forgot to study? Ryuji! Are you not focusing on your studies?!"

"It- It was only one time! Plus, the teacher didn't teach us anythin'!"

"The teachers do teach you something. It's just that you don't pay attention to them at all!"