Chapter 19

"So, your recent case led to the freedom of an innocent man accused of raping a woman... Tell us, how did you figure it out?"

I took a deep breath and put my hands on my lap to calm myself down. My brain was constantly searching for the right things to say until I spotted Ryuji and Ann from the corner of my eye, giving me a thumbs-up.

"The man had countless of witnesses who claimed he could never do something so vile. And as I investigated the case even more, I noticed how the woman's past partners claimed she was manipulative. I figured it out when she began crying while I read through her testimony and changed it a bit to see if she caught it."

"So, you were testing her. As expected from you, L/N... You've gained a sudden boost of popularity once they wrote reports about the case. How do you feel?"

"To be honest, I'm a bit afraid. It took me a lot to get myself to accept this interview."

The reporter laughed and clapped her hands along with the audience. She rubbed my knee as if she were comforting me. All I could feel were her plastic nails digging through the fabric of my pants.

"Of course! It was a bit of a shock finding out you actually accepted an interview by yourself. I've only seen you with Akechi-kun twice in the media."

Why did you have to bring him in this? We were talking about my case. Don't change the subject for your own pleasure...

"I'm getting used to it. How can I be a great detective if I can't get over my stage fright?"

"That is true... Now, tell us something new about your relationship with Akechi? Have you two done anything lately?"

Here we go again.

"Other than bicker of who will be paying for the electricity bills, not really. We've been focusing on our work lately and we don't have much time to ourselves these days."

The audience laughed at my joke at first. The reporter seems to be enjoying this interview. I wasn't. How much longer? Didn't they say it was only an hour?

It's been an hour, right?

I took a quick glance at the timer behind the reporter.

It's only been twenty minutes...

Fuck.

"Ah, young love. You two are such a power couple. Just seeing you two work together so well makes me so glad for you two. Girl-to-girl, have you been thinking of marriage?"

"I'd be crazy if I was thinking of marriage at such a young age. I'm still in high school, for God's sake!" My voice squeaked as I was caught off-guard. Marriage? No, I'm way too young. I have a future way ahead of me!

It's such a stupid question, too! What is she thinking? Does she think high school couples will stay together forever?

I wanted to laugh. This will make it to the the headlines. That's what she wanted, I guess.

She's the reporter who lost her husband to someone way younger than her. The hell does she know about having a good marriage anyway?

Fuck her bullshit. She's just trying to get a reaction out of me. And she was clearly satisfied with the outcome as the girls on stage were interested in the topic. I bet the girls in the back were taking their pitchforks out to terrorize me...

Their hungry eyes burned through my head.

"You've never even considered it? Don't tell me you haven't imagined a family with a handsome young man as him..."

"No, I haven't, in fact," I frowned.

The reporter's lips curled into a scowl before she clapped her hands and leaned back against her chair.