Chapter 23 - Side lines

I wake up to the sound of Abby and Scarletts alarm clock. We all groan together, not wanting to get up. I sit up and grab my crutch before I stand up and grab some clothes from my dresser. I put on some high waisted black leggings and a red crop top. I thought that because I'm not riding that I might as well dress nicely.

I walk to the bathroom and put on some makeup, before leaving with Abby and Scarlett. They start to tack up, so I grab an apple from the cafeteria. I walk back to the stables and give the apple to Dreamer. By the time I get back, there already almost done tacking up. It must have taken me a while to walk over there, due to me having a hurt leg.

This morning I decided I would watch there lesson since I have nothing better to do. I follow them when they walk towards the arena, and stand next to the fence.

I watch as they do walk, trot, Canter, and They do it flawlessly. Some other riders take a few seconds to get there horses to listen, and one even bucks. Derek sets up a vertical in the middle that looks to be about 2 ft.

He instructs the riders to jump over it. Abby and Scarlett go first, jumping over it flawlessly. The rider after them has there horse refuse to jump it and they fall off. The Dutch warm blood chestnut stallion looks scared out of its mind.This causes Derek to yell at him, and I can't help but let's put a small giggle at the lol on the boys face. He looks so frightened.

I look across the arena and see Claire and Samatha, Victoria's besties, giggling from across the arena. Surprisingly I haven't seen them in a while, and I'm glad. My face is taken up by a frown, because it's clear there making fun of him. I look back to The scene in front of me.

Derek makes him hop on the horse again, and to try it again. The horse refuses, but the boy doesn't fall off. he just try's again. The horse jumps this time, but knocks over a poll. Derek smacks his face.

"Do you even know how to ride!" He yells. "Or do I need to bump you down to the Learners?"

"Y-yes s-sir. I-I know how to r-ride." He stammers. Clearly he's new.

"Well then do it properly! Your wasting the other riders time!" Derek yells.

The boy canters around and jumps over the jump properly this time, which results in a smile from Derek.

"Good, now everyone continue one." He instructs.

I keep watching Abby and Scarlett, they go over the jump perfectly. The other riders to pretty well to. Then Derek raises the poll a bit. Abby and Scarlett jump over it like it wasn't even raised, but then the boy tries it. The horse stops in front of it, and Dereks face erupts in anger.

"Why isn't your leg on?" Derek yells. "He's afraid of the jump and so are you! Get over it and jump it!"

The boy tries again, and this time jumps it, but when he lands, the horse bucks him off.

Derek marches up to the boy. "You need to get him to jump! Do I need to ride him to show you?"

"No sir." The boy says nervously.

"Good. Now try again." Derek says sternly.

He approaches the the jump again and when he goes to jump, the horse rears. Derek bursts into anger.

"I swear! How am I supposed to make a good rider out of you! Your horse is scared of the jump because your scared of the jump! Do I need to get someon-" Derek locks eyes with me and smiles. "Calli! Care to come teach this horse a lesson?"

I smile back. "You know I can't ride right now." I say, holding up my crutch.

I look up and see Claire and Samatha eyeing me, but I ignore them.