Chapter 25 - Back at it

A week passed and it was finally time for my lesson at 4 today with the other learners. I was so excited to join a group lesson for the first time. My leg didn't hurt anymore and the doctor removed my stitches yesterday, so that all that was left was a scar.

Scarlett and Abby freaked out when I told them that Victoria kicked me last week. They were so close to going and getting her kicked out it wasn't even funny.

So far Victoria hadn't gotten her "revenge" on my from last week, unless you count us bickering.

I put all my thoughts aside and throw on some riding pants. I put my hair up in a pony tail before I walk out the door. I walk towards the stables and past them, so I can grab my tack.

I come back with my tack and hang it up, before greeting Dreamer. I rub him on the nose and take him out of the stall. I brush him down and start to tack him up.

Today he doesn't seem to mind the tack at all, even when I tighten the girth. Just then a familiar face walks up to me.

"Calli, you're finally joining the lesson today!" Lucas says excitedly walking up to me.

"Yeah, I'm so excited!" I say.

"Yeah, would've been nice to have you in the arena last week, since I didn't know anybody." He says.

"Yeah same here, would've been my first group lesson." I sigh. "Anyways, how have your lesson been?"

"A little better, but still lots of spooks, and I get yelled at quite a lot." He sighs.

"Ahh that's okay, you'll get there." I say encouraging him.

"Hope so." He says. "Anyways, better go head in for the lesson."

"Yeah, I just have to put on Dreamers boots first." I say leaning down to put the first one on.

Once I'm done, I grab Dreamers reins and we walk into the arena. I line up for the mounting block, and I see several people glaring at me, remembering the last time I was here. I had done a terrible job last time, but this time I would do well.

I make it up to the mounting block and hop on Dreamer. He doesn't mind anymore. We start to walk around the arena, with several other students. I spot Lucas from across the arena and wave to him. He waves nervously back, clearly worried about the lesson.

Derek finishes setting up a cross rail in the middle. "Trot." He instructs.

Several people look at me, waiting for me to screw up, but I get Dreamer to do a nice trot. The other riders realize they Dreamer won't spook and they trot along to. Out of the corner of my eye I see Lucas's horse speed up and Derek tells him to steady.

Soon Derek tells us to Canter, and We do. I couple horse refuse, and it takes a couple seconds for the riders to get them to listen. They canter still though.

We all Canter around the arena for a bit, and a couple riders horses break out of the Canter. The riders take a little bit for the horses to canter again, but they end up doing it. soon we trot, and then we walk again, taking a little break.

"Canter." Derek tells us, and Dreamer listens right away.

Almost all of the riders can't get their horses to Canter right off the bat. they end up trotting and then cantering. I see Derek shake his head.

"Remember to give them some slack on there reins!" He instructs.

After a couple more laps of cantering, we all take turns doing a lead change in the same spot across the center. Dreamer does it beautiful,
But other riders struggle. Some riders don't get there horses to change until a lap later. Derek looks a little frustrated with how many riders are screwing up.

"Walk." Derek instructs, and we all walk.

We walk around for a couple of laps, catching our breath. Then Derek speaks.

"Your all going to jump this cross rail here. I want you to trot up to it when you make it to that corner." He says pointing to the far corner. "When you land, walk and join the other riders, who will be walking around the arena until it's there turn. Understood?" Derek asks.

Several riders nod there head including me. I'm a little nervous, because me and Dreamer have never jumped together before. Wait...we did jump the stream wham we were running away from the wolves. Suddenly my nervousness goes away. We've practically jumped an oxer together, we can jump a cross rail.

The rider I front of me trots and I watch as she jumps the jump, landing nicely, even though her horse took a long stride. It's my turn.I get Dreamer to trot and we trot around the corner towards the jump. Dreamer sees the jump, and doesn't even seem phased by it. He trot over it and land gracefully, doing it perfectly. I look at Derek who has a smile on his face.

Next up is Lucas, and I cross my fingers. I hope he does well. His horse sees the jump, and speeds up a little bit, but then before the jump she slows down and stops. Dereks face looks frustrated.

"You can't be afraid of the jump!" Derek yells. "Do you want to jump it or not?"

"I do sir." Lucas replies, and Derek tells him to try again.

Lucas turns and trots towards the jump, and...the horse has the same reaction. Derek looks mad now, but then he looks around the arena and spots me. He turns back to Lucas.

"Get off."

"What?" Lucas says, confused.

"Get off, and Calli come here." Derek states.

Lucas dismounts and I walk up to them. I look at Derek, waiting for him to tell me to get off. I already know what he wants me to do.

"Calli, would you mind riding this horse over the jump?" He asks.

"Yeah sure." I say, dismounting, and handing Dreamer and grabbing the chestnut stallion from Lucas.

You smile at him weakly as I walk over to the mounting block. I mount up, and the stallion tenses. I give him a pat, and he relaxes. I get him to walk and then trot. I steer him towards the jump and I feel him speed up. I do a half halt, and he slows to a good speed. When we reach closer to the jump, I feel him slow down so I put on my leg. He jumps the jump nicely, and when we land, I keep my leg on to he doesn't buck. I trot up the Derek and Lucas, and dismount.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see everyone looking at me in awe. Derek hands Dreamer to Lucas and then Grabs The stallion from me.

"See that is how you ride!" He says. "Don't be scared of your hors-"

Dreamer let's put a loud neigh and he rears. I quickly grab him from Lucas and start rubbing his nose, calming him down.

Lucas looks at me worried. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine." I say cutting him off. "He doesn't trust you, that's all."

I see many riders starting at me, and I look away from them.

Derek breaks the silence. "Now let's all keep jumping!"

Me and Lucas walk towards the mounting block and mount up. For the rest of the lesson, every one jumps, some people get refusals, but most do pretty well. Some off them have a long stride before the jump, or the horse knocks down the poll. Me and Dreamer didn't do anything wrong, we jumped flawlessly the entire time.

"Walk." Derek says. "The lessons done."

We walk around for several minutes before a lot of people dismount and head out of the arena. I hop off Dreamer to and start to walk towards the gates. Derek walks up to me.

"Calli?" He says.

"Yeah?" I reply a little confused.

"Your going to ride at 7 tomorrow." He says, and I look at him confused. "Your a beginner now."

Yay two chapter in the same day!

I don't have much to say about this Chapter, I enjoyed writing it.

What do you think of Lucas?

Thanks for reading and sticking with my book!