in another world...

That was my 5th patient of the day. I go to swap my white coat with my regular one and destress an entire day's worth in less than ten seconds. A little stretch. Comb through my hair and I'm out the door. 

I sit in my car and start my journey home. I open my windows and turn on some music. The air wasn't hot, cooler with some hints of dandelions and fresh-cut grass. The sun hasn't set but it's not beating down on the pedestrians walking. 

I get an incoming call from Logan. I let it run to voicemail. 

I get home and unlock my door and die onto my couch. Next thing you know it's 1:27 am. I figure I should get up, but really I can't move. 

That was the 26th one. I press play and daze at the ceiling. 

"Hey Aspen, I'm not sure if you're getting these but I hope you are cause I swear it'll make you wanna come back, anyways you'll never believe what happened today in the art hall..." 

This was the first time I listened to these and they made me laugh. One after another, it felt like I was there and experiencing all of them. 

"Hey Aspen, I'm not sure how much longer you'll be at getting back to me. I wish you would sooner but I'm sure your at least enjoying these." 

I was, I really was. But...the last one. It was a long time after the last, almost as if he had fallen off the face of the earth or nothing was going on. 

"Hey, uh, I've really been trying to reach you. I hope everything is going well with you." 

He paused and sighed a restless sigh.  He was holding his breath for thirty seconds before he started talking again. 

"Robin's actually in the hospital. Nothing serious, his condition just got a little bad for a bit. He should be okay so you shouldn't worry. Plus, uh..." 

Another ten seconds before he let out. 

"Alex actually came back, like a while ago." 

Hm.

"Things aren't back to the way they are, obviously, but we're getting there." 

Ah.

"Look, I know things are bad, and I know you probably won't come back. I just wish things ended in a better way and I wish we got a proper goodbye. Robin would've probably praised you if you were here. Anyways I just wanted to let you know, that I actually might not be calling you anymore for the time being. Hopefully, I can in the future and you'll actually pick up, but just for now, I'm going to stop. Everything is.. hectic to say the least. Just know Aspen, wherever you are, and whatever you're doing, you'll always be our Knight and shining armor." 

I was about to rush to call back, but I stopped myself. 

There are many ways that this could've ended. Better or worse; and in another world, we probably would've all lived happily. Maybe I would've been the original Knight and maybe Alex wouldn't have even left me the way she did. But everything happens for a reason and although there are things that I wish I could've done while I was still there, I want to let things go back to the way they were. The way they were, without me. 

10 years from now, maybe I'll be ready to face her, and maybe Alex will be ready to open her heart for me. Maybe we would've gone so far down separate paths that it would be like fate bringing us together as acquaintances, friends even. Maybe I'll be able to fact all of them without any bad intent and we could all live comfortably. 

All of those are maybes. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N 

Hello! It's been a while and wow. It's kinda crazy how fast time flies. I'm so sorry to those who were waiting for new updates but things happen. I come back with hopes that this brings SOME closure on this thread. 

I haven't updated myself on the series so I'm not sure how it ended so I did the best I could and came up with something quick. I want to sincerely thank everyone for supporting me by just reading and giving me the confidence to publish stuff like this. 

If you have questions, I'll try answering but when the comments become sparse I may not come back for a while, but as of now, ask away! 

This series had meant a lot to me at the time and let me express what I thought could happen in an alternate universe where Alex had a sister. The ending that I chose was something probably different from what I originally planned, but hey, maybe it's for the better.  

Again, I'm so sorry for those who waited and maybe even forgot about the series. With my entire heart, I thank every single one of you who asked for more or just liked the series in general. It's time to say bye to this chapter of my life, and I'm going to start a new book, with my own plotline and on another account. 

@susanfulton_  (if you were wondering) 

I'm actually a senior in high school so writing the ending was bittersweet because I kind of saw how cringe I was being in the beginning. 

Anyways, I hope every one of you keep reading and finding content that you enjoy! Make this platform a part of you and never let it go. 

Stay happy and stay healthy! <3