Prologue - The Divorce

"I know my heart will never be the same,

 but I'm telling myself I'll be okay."

-Sarah Evans

Demon Society is a complicated system. 

Back in Hell, high ranked demons were easily identified as the strongest, both physically and magically. Then demons discovered the Human Realm. This place held humans who had no problem finding intuitive ways to deal with the demons who escaped the confines of Hell to run rampant. Many lives were lost. Things had to change, and eventually the two races came to an agreement. Demon Law was rewritten in a way that would not incur the wrath of either side. 

Demons learned how to utilize their wit, and went from being warlords to businessmen. It was the closest they could get to mastering the human race without breaking their new laws. Money ruled this world after all, and the more money a demon had, the more respected they were and the higher they were ranked in Society. Power was still respected of course, but not as much as money. 

Ricky De'stat had neither.

Ricky was a low ranked demon living in the Human Realm. He lived a simple life, having no ounce of magic and thus fitting in well with most mortals. He worked in an office, had loving parents, and was married to who he thought was the love of his life. 

Unfortunately, that dream was shattered with one simple call from his father-in-law.

"Chris wants a divorce." Was all the man said. His voice gruff and stern, with absolute loyalty to his blood son who, unlike Ricky, was considered high ranking in Demon Society. Chris was expected to inherit a portion of his families telecommunications company at the time, but as his new husband, Ricky was considered an unsatisfactory partner. His ancestors had been slaves to humans centuries ago, long before the laws were changed. In Demon Society, bowing your head to a human was considered the absolute lowest rank a demon could achieve. Sure, the new laws prohibited the practice and his family was freed ages ago, but that heritage still stuck to him like a nasty stain.

"What do you mean he wants a divorce?" Ricky shot back, disbelieving.

Mr. Mendova, his father-in-law, sighed as though this conversation wasn't even worth the effort. "I mean he's found someone better. Someone more suitable for his rank."

"That's absolute bullshit!" His temper flared. "I refuse to believe a word unless I hear it from Chris himself!"

"Fine. Try and call him if you want, but it won't work. He doesn't want to have anything to do with you anymore." And with that, the line went dead.

Ricky stood in his kitchen, staring at his cell in shock. This was not happening. Sure, Chris had to go overseas for a few months for work, but he wouldn't have cheated on Ricky....Would he?

Quickly the demon pulled up his husband's contact. Pressing the call button, he stood in silence as a woman's voice echoed out. "I'm sorry. The number you have dialed is no longer in service. Please check the number and try again."

His stomach turned into knots.

Desperately, Ricky began calling around. He called Chris's friends first, then a coworker from the company before finally resolving to call his mother-in-law.

Ricky held his breath as the line picked up.

"Ricky!" She chirped in her superficial cheery voice. "If it isn't my favorite little rat. I heard the news, did you? Oh of course you have, why else would you be calling me?"