4

Ava Morris

I look at the menu on the wall. I tried to decide as fast as I could but I was confused between a beef burger and a chicken sandwich. The girl behind me in the line is impatiently tapping her foot on the ground. "Ma'am, have you decided on your order?"

"Hmm." I decide on the chicken sandwich. "One strawberry smoothie and chicken sandwich please."

"Do you like to have a normal sandwich or a grilled sandwich?"

"Grilled sandwich."

"Is that all? Anything else to add?" the girl asked.

"No."

"Okay, that would be-" I gave her the cash.

"It will take ten minutes, ma'am, we will call your order number when your order is ready." She handed me my bill with my bill number written on it.

I nodded my head before going towards the empty table. The whole place is packed with students and most of the tables are taken. I take my seat and place my bag in the empty chair beside me. Julian and Ron went to watch a football match. Auden and Lola went to the cinema. Max and Poppy are somewhere having their time.

A sigh leaves my mouth as I look around. I have been coming to this cafe since semester one. I know the owner of this cafe as I'm a regular customer. I pull out my iPad and notebook that I needed to write down. Vincent loved this cafe when we came for the campus tour. I had my first lunch over here and soon it became a part of my college life and a place I always visit to work.

I was left alone. I won't complain though, because I need my time alone. I started working with one of the editing companies named 'Dolphin pictures' when I was in my second year of college. I edit their pictures and videos for their telecasts. It is my side job which I do to earn my pocket money.

I applied for an internship during my summer holidays. They selected me after going through my social media platforms and the work I posted over there. I have done paid partnerships with companies and they have posted my work on their platforms, which helped me build my CV and apply for internships.

Vincent gifted me a camera on my birthday. He knew about my love for photography and I started taking pictures of streets, people, pets, flowers and places I went to. Then I started making outdoor vlogs, dormitory vlogs and college vlogs on YouTube. People started recognising my editing work and photography skills through the posts that I shared on social media. The income started generating, which is helping me save up for my future.

'102' I heard the computerised voice. I left the pen and stood up from my chair to get my order.

My eyes were glued to the screen as I went through the emails and documents that I had received in the mailbox. Opening a new page, I recorded the new work that has been assigned to me and the charges they are going to pay for the work.

For the next thirty minutes, I sorted my emails accordingly and wrote down the assignments that I would be working on for the next three weeks. "This is going to keep me busy," I tell myself, opening my present project. I need to edit twenty pictures and send them to the agent for finalisation. If the agent is okay with the edits, then I won't have extra work.

But if the agent wants to make any changes, then it's going to be hectic and long. Hours passed as I worked on the pictures. I ordered another cappuccino with extra coffee powder on the top. I don't have any college work, so I would go to the dormitory and sleep.

"Done." A sigh left my mouth as I looked at the email. I have shared the file with the agent. Probably by tomorrow morning, I will be getting a reply.

I packed my bag and put my iPad and charger into the bag before standing up with the trash. I went over to the trash can before throwing the trash into the bin. I placed the tray on the table, went back to my table to pick up my bag and phone.