20

Ava Morris

A smile stretched on my lips when the cool breeze touched my face and skin. I shivered and wrapped my arms around my body as I relaxed. I was exhausted and my muscles were tense because of the hours of work. I hadn't left my studio since morning and had forgotten about everything.

I relaxed and enjoyed the cold air but I knew I had to get in or else I would catch a cold. The weather has been getting worse for a week. It hadn't stopped pouring down and I didn't leave my house until today. I had to go to the studio and finish the work. The peace broke my blaring phone. I pulled the phone out of my jeans and answered the call knowing who it was.

"Hey, mum?"

"Where are you, young lady?"

"Studio?" I don't know why it came out as a question.

She sighed. "Do you have any idea of how tense I was?" She stayed silent. "I was calling you and you weren't answering my phone."

Guilt tripped in. "I'm sorry, mum. I had to concentrate on work and I put my phone on silent."

"You should have left a message. It was pouring down and I was worried that you might've stacked somewhere." I could hear the nervousness and tension.

"I'm sorry."

"When will you be home?" I looked at the wristwatch.

"I'm almost done with my work. I will be returning by 8:00 pm."

"Can you come home by 7:00 pm?"

"Hmm, sure. Let me just wrap everything and I will give you a call when I start from here."

"Okay, sweetie. Drive safe and be careful on highways."

"Sure." I ended the call and wandered inside. Rita and Briya were working on the wedding album.

"Did you guys finish working on the previous photos? We need to send them by Monday."

"They are done, we will email you. If you have any problem with the editing, we can change it as we have two days." Rita said.

"Okay, pack your bags. I will drop you girls at home."

"We will finish this and catch a cab," Briya said.

"I know you two can. By the looks of it, the weather is going to be worse. I don't want to put you in that situation. Come on, pack up and we will leave soon." Briya and Rita shared a look before agreeing.

*

I dropped the girls at their apartment, now driving home. It is pouring down heavily and I hope I reach home safely. My phone started ringing and I looked at the caller ID. It was Brad. I put it on the loudspeaker.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Done with your training?" I asked.

"Yeah, returned to the hotel. What about you?"

"I'm driving home," I said as I stopped seeing the red traffic light.

"You went to the studio in this weather?" I rolled my lower lip into the mouth and gave him a hum. "It wasn't that bad in the morning, the sun was out."

"Okay..."

"How was your day?" He asked as I heard some shuffling.

"It was good and hectic. We had to work on our deadlines." A heavy sigh left my mouth knowing I had to work once I was at home. "How was yours?"