Human Nature

"That's what you call a perfect trip?" Tyra called over the sound of the other two's breathing.

"That's not my fault. Get down," the Doctor shouted as they hurried into the Tardis. He slammed the doors shut behind them, whirling around "Did they see you? Either of you?"

Martha shook her head "I don't know," she admitted.

"But did they see you? Tyra?"

Tyra shook her head. Well, the trip was extravagant for sure... Probably not quite in the way the Doctor had planned but then again... Their trips rarely were. A part of her had hoped that he would finally take them to Barcelona. Oh, well... "No. I don't think they did. They couldn't have. Neither Martha nor I looked back."

The Doctor nodded in relief "Off we go, then." He set the Tardis in motion before letting out a curse as a sound came from the monitor "Argh... They're following us."

"How can they do that?" Martha demanded "You've got a time machine."

"Stolen technology," the Doctor pointed out "They've got a Time Agent's vortex manipulator. They can follow us wherever we go, right across the universe. They're never going to stop, unless..." He straightened up, face set determinedly "I'll have to do it. Martha, Ty, you trust me, don't you?"

Tyra looked into his eyes seriously "What are you doing to do?"

"This all depends on the two of you, alright?"

"What does?" Martha frowned "What are we supposed to do?"

The Doctor held out an ornately decorated pocket watch to Tyra, squeezing her hand in comfort "Take this watch. My life depends on this. This watch, Ty, Martha... The watch is me."

"Right, okay," Martha nodded "Gotcha." She blinked a couple of times before sending him a sheepish grin "No, hold on. Completely lost."

Tyra looked at the watch "Is that the... what's it called? The thing that turns you into any species you want?"

"Sort of," he nodded "It's not the watch that does it but that's where I'm going to be stored. Those creatures are hunters. They can sniff out anyone and me being a Time Lord, well, I'm unique... They can track me down across the whole of time and space."

Martha grumbled "Huh. And the good news is...?"

"They can smell me," the Doctor explained "They haven't seen me. And their life span will be running out, so we hide. Wait for them to die."

Martha tilted her head "But they can track us down."

"That's why he's going to turn himself into a Human," Tyra told her quietly as a headset lowered itself from the ceiling "I have no idea how it works but as long as it does... I'm not going to complain."

Martha nodded "Wait, what do we have to do? As in, Tyra and I?"

"I invented a life story for me, find me a setting and integrate me. The Tardis already took care of everything. Can't do the same for the two of you, though. You'll have to improvise. Or Tyra can compel you what you need. I should have just enough residual awareness to not abandon you."

"But hold on," Martha stopped him "If you're going to rewrite every single cell... Isn't it going to hurt?"

The Doctor bit his lip "Oh, yeah. It hurts." He pressed a lingering kiss to Tyra's lips before fastening the headset. Tyra turned away as he started screaming, a grimace on her face. She hated to see him in pain, especially pain that seemed excruciating.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Tardis had landed in a time where Tyra had still been in America for which she was grateful. She had chosen a small private school in a small village. The perfect hiding place.