Utopia

"Cardiff," the Doctor called out with a huge grin.

Martha stared at him in shocked disappointment "Cardiff?"

Tyra nudged her in the side "You'd be surprised. Cardiff is almost as bad as London when it comes to aliens... Not quite as extreme but there's been some around over the past few years. Maybe compare it to New York."

"Exactly," the Doctor nodded "But the thing about Cardiff, it's built on a rift in time and space, just like California and the San Andreas Fault but the rift bleeds energy. Every now and then I need to open up the engines, soak up the energy and use it as fuel."

"So, it's a pit stop," Martha realized. Tyra smiled sadly, remembering the last time they had to stop in Cardiff for a little bit. Martha raised her eyebrow at Tyra "Why do you look like that?"

She tilted her head "Look like what?"

"Like that," Martha pointed out "Why are you sad?"

"Ah," Tyra mumbled, playing with a few strands of her hair "Sorry, I was just thinking about the last time we had to stop here."

The Doctor placed his hand on Tyra's shoulder, squeezing lightly "It should only take about twenty seconds. The rift's been active." That actually made him frown and move around the console to stare at the monitor.

His eyes darkened a little and Tyra was about to say something when Martha interrupted, drawing her attention away from him "Wait a minute," Martha snapped her fingers "They had an earthquake in Cardiff a couple of years ago. Was that you?"

"Bit of trouble with a Slitheen," the Doctor waved off "A long time ago. Lifetimes. I was a different man back then." He sent the two girls a bright grin that didn't reach his eyes "Finito. All powered up." Before Tyra reached him, he set the time rotor moving and almost as soon as they took off, the console exploded.

Martha immediately held onto the railing tightly "Whoa. What's that?"

"We're accelerating into the future," the Doctor breathed, his wide eyes still on the monitor. Tyra fought to get back to her feet, rubbing at her arm with a small grimace. The small burn that she had gotten from the console was already disappearing "The year one billion. Five billion. Five trillion. Fifty trillion? What? The year one hundred trillion? That's impossible."

"Why?" Martha blinked "What happens then?"

The Doctor looked up at them in trepidation "We're going to the end of the universe."

"Doctor," a faint voice was shouting somewhere. Tyra's head snapped around and she frowned. What was that? It... It sounded like Jack but that was impossible, right? She shook her head. Maybe her mind was playing tricks on her. After all, she had been thinking about the last time the Doctor and she had been in Cardiff with Jack.

The Tardis fell quiet and the Doctor straightened cautiously "Well, we've landed."

"What's out there?" Martha asked.

The Doctor sighed, running a hand through his hair "I don't know."

Martha shot him a smirk "Say that again. That's rare."

"Not even the Time Lords came this far," the Doctor explained "We should leave. We should... go. We should really, really go."

Tyra raised my eyebrows at him "The last time you tried to talk yourself out of something, you jumped into a pit."

"You're right," he nodded in agreement "Why bother." With that he grinned, running to the door.

-----------------------------------------------------------