Chapter Twenty

Fawn burst through the doors of the hospital. She scanned the room until she saw her down the hall. She rushed forward and Digger followed close behind.

As soon as she was close enough she swung her hand and slapped her mother across the face.

"Fawn!" Digger yelled. He wrapped his arms around her stomach and pulled her back.

"You bitch! I fucking hate you! Why didn't you call me sooner?" She yelled, staring at her mother's stunned face.

"You hit me..." her mother said, bewildered.

"Fucking let go of me, Digger!" Fawn yelled, kicking and screaming.

Digger let her go and she burst into the room. Her father was laying in the hospital bed, wires and tubes sticking out. She choked on a sob.

"Hi, Daddy," she sat next to his bed and gripped his hand.

"Hey, baby girl," he wheezed. "Good to see you again."

"You too, Daddy. Why didn't you call me?" She asked, tears filled her eyes.

"Oh, you know your mother. Patricia can be a bitch."

"I wish you left her long ago. I hated being away from you."

"Me too, Doe. Me too." She could see the tears in his eyes but he blinked them away. "So what have you been up to, sweet girl?"

"Oh, you know me. Causing trouble," They laughed. "I um... I got caught up in an MC."

"Ha, you really are causing trouble."

"I'm an Old Lady too," she turned and point to Digger who was standing in the doorway. "He's the lucky guy."

Her dad raised his hand and waved Digger in.

"Yes sir?" Digger asked.

"What's your name, son?"

"Digger."

"Digger, I'm Buck. You gonna take care of my little doe?"

"With everything I've got, sir."

Daddy grinned. "For a biker you sure are a respectful young man. I need you watch after her. Give your whole heart with everything to do with her--not half or part. I wasn't smart enough to be there for her when she needed me."

He squeezed her hand and she squeezed back. "You did just fine, Daddy."

"No, miss, I didn't. I should have been there for you--shouldn't have let your mother kick you out. You're my world, Doe, my everything."

"Daddy, please don't say goodbye," she let the tears spill from her eyes.

"I got to, sweet girl. I don't know how this surgery will go and I don't want to miss the chance."

"No, Pa, your home is here--with me. Remember, you promised me? You're gonna get through this."

"I'm might have to break that promise," a tear spilled down his cheek. He looked to Digger, "If you're not planning on marrying my girl--end it now. If you are--make sure she gets her dream wedding."

"Pa--"

"I'm sorry I can't walk you down the aisle, Doe."

"No, Daddy, you can and you will. Your strong enough to get through this. Please. I'm sorry I didn't come home, I'm sorry I disappointed you, I'm sorry. Just... please... don't give up, Daddy."

"You didn't disappoint me, Fawn. You made me proud. You're the best daughter a man could ask for." He took in a breath, "Make sure my grandbabies know how much Grandpa Buck loves them. Tell them I'll be watching over them."

"You'll be able to tell them yourself, Daddy, cause I know you--your a stubborn bastard. It's a simple surgery, stop making it a big deal."

"My Little Girl, Doe. Play it." He reached up a hand and wiped his thumb across her cheek. "I love you, Fawn."

"I love you, Daddy." She pressed her cheek into his palm. "I'll see you again."

The doctors and nurses came in then. They began to move the bed. They moved him out and her mother walked in. Fawn wiped her cheeks with the back of her hands.

"Fawn--"

"Don't," Fawn snapped. "Because of you I lost years with him. You don't deserve him, you never did."

Patricia nodded, "You're right. I haven't been that good a mother to you."

"You were never a mother. You were just there. Alway criticizing me, dictating mr, making my life miserable. You degraded me whenever you got the chance."

"Fawn... I'm sorry..." Patricia said.

"Fuck you," Fawn said and walked to one of the couches close by.

******

Digger waited with Fawn. He had learned a bit today, just listening to Fawn with her parents. She obviously was closer to her dad then her mother--and her mother she couldn't give a shit about.

It had been a little over an hour when a nurse came in. Fawn had fallen asleep on him and he nudged her. She blinked and lifted her head but stayed clinging to his arm.

"Are you here for Mr. Cyprus?" The nurse asked.

"Yes, we are," Fawn's mother said.

"Well, according to him it was a hunting accident. He was being chased by a bear and tripped causing him to fall down a hill. He has a broken leg and a few slipped discs. The surgery went well, he's in recovery now." The nurse filled them in, then she looked unsettled. "He kept saying something about a doe?"

Fawn grinned, "That's me."

"He wants to see you."

Digger kissed her. "Go see your dad. I'll wait here, make a few calls."

He watched her follow the nurse then he stepped outside. He pulled out his phone and dialed Snake.

"Where the fuck have you been?" Snake answered. "Her first tattoo shouldn't have taken this long."

"I'm at the hospital. We're fine. Fawn got a call from her mom about her dad. I was just calling to check in."

"Oh you know, the usual. Just some guy snooping around the gates."

"What?"

"Yea, some shithead was walking around the gates looking in. When Washington approached him he ran off. He got a look at him though."

He found himself asking, "Tattoo on the neck?"

"Yea, skull with--"

"A knife in the mouth. Shit."