Chapter Twenty-Nine

Two months had passed since everything happened. Her ribs were healed and most of the bruises were gone, at least all of them on her face were. Her dad stoppes by a lot to check on her, and to get away from her mom.

She and Digger were laying on the couch in the main room watching Let's Be Cops. Cole was playing with his toys on the carpet and occasionally brought one over. Looking at her friends son she had a sense of longing. She'd always wanted a big family, being an only child.

She sat up to play with Cole when Jaylen walked in. She had her sleeves over her hands and was tugging at them. Fawn frown, was something wrong?

"Hey, Jay. You ok?" She asked.

Digger looked toward them and then back to the screen.

"Um... I was wondering..." she sighed. "You see..."

"It's ok, Jaylen, you can ask anything. We're not gonna get mad," she assured her.

She closed her eyes. "I was kinda hoping I could get supplies to draw?"

"To draw?" A big smile spread across her face. "Of course! You like to draw?"

"I love you. When I drew... that guy... for Digger, I got me thinking and I miss it."

"Well go shopping later. Is there anything else you want? Paint? Oils? Coal?"

"Really?" Her eyes light up. " That would be awesome! Thank you!"

Jaylen hugged her and left the room.

Fawn sat on the floor. Digger finished the movie and turned on a TV show for kids. Digger sat on the floor with them.

"You ever want kids?" She asked as she played with Cole's dark curls.

"Only with you," he said.

She looked up and saw him staring at her. His eyes were shinning with love and care for her. She leaned over and kissed him. Cole toddled over with something in his hand. She held out her hand and he slammed the box down, giggling he ran away.

Fawn stared down at the little velvet box. Digger picked it up and opened it, showing the beautiful crystal clear dimond with smaller indigo ones surrounding it, set in a silver band.

"Fawn, I know I've fucked up. I've been an idiot. We lost years because I was thinking you were too good for me. Some of my decision have gotten you hurt. I shouldn't have told you no. I should have made you mine then. I'm sorry for all the time lost. Will you let me make up to you and marry me?"

She smiled, "Yes!" He slide the ring on her finger and threw herself at him. "Did you really think I'd say no?"

"If your going to use my kid to propose you can at least let me know!"

They turned to see Sarah and Snake. Sarah had a big smile on her face. Snake was grinning and shaking his head. As Sarah ran over and hugged them.

"I always knew you two would get together. You were practically fucking each other with your eyes a few months ago."

"Oh shove it, Sarah," Digger chuckled.

She stuck her tongue out at him. Cole ran over to his mommy, laughing and holding his arm up to be picked up. Sarah reached down and picked him up.

"People need to stop telling me to shove it," she said.

"Stop giving them reason to," Snake said.

"Fawn, honey," Trish called, walking in the room. She held the phone up, "It's your dad."

******

He followed Fawn through the hospital again, watching for her mother. The last time they were there she surprised him by walking straight up to her and slapping her. He had never seen her so enraged and broken.

Luckily this time, her mother was no where in sight.

Fawn walked into her father room, "What the hell, Daddy?"

"Hey, Doe," he said. "Why don't you have a seat."

Fawn sat down. "What's going on? You didn't say anything on the phone. I was panicking so much Digger almost crashed. Why are you in the hospital again?"

"I did some digging on my attack. Bears aren't supposed to be in that area of the woods. I've been hunting there with my pop since I was ten--thats thirty-two years--and I've never seen a bear there. So i looked into it talked to some people... Found out Patricia set it all up. She had someone up the bear in my hunting spot and cover my clothes in a scent that makes bears go mad."

"I don't understand," Digger said before Fawn could yell the building down. Her hands were fisted on the blanket. "Why would your wife wanna kill you?"

"Daddy comes from money," Fawn explained. "She only married him for the money. She made him think that she loved him so he'd marry her and she got pregnant so he wouldn't divorce her."

"So she tried to kill you for the money," Digger shook his head. "Why didn't you divorce her when she kicked Fawn out?"

He shrugged. "Probably should have but my mom is still alive and she's always liked Patricia. Wont like her now though."

"Where is she anyway?" Fawn asked.

Her laughed. "Jail. Your grandma is already talking to the lawyer."

Fawn nodded and they stayed and talked. Digger's phone rang and he excused himself. He walked out into the hall and answered.

"Yea?"

"Good news," Hatchett said. "Jailer was just picked up."

"How is that good news? I want him in the shed, not in jail."

There was not way he wanted to just put a bullet in him. No, Digger wanted to take his time killing him--so would Snake. Digger was able to keep Spain alive for four days before he died from the torture. He hadn't told Fawn what he did just that it was taken care of. He knew she wasn't stupid, she had known. Yet she still slept next to him every night.

"Because I know a guy on the inside. We can get this taken care of."

"Even if we off Jailer, Crank will just take over as president."

"Hacker's looking into it. I ran my idea by Banks so well see what he says."

Digger ended the call and went back in the room. Fawn was saying good bye. They went back to the clubhouse but Fawn left shortly after they arrived. Sarah, Trish,  Jaylen, and Fawn went out and to be honest he was happy about it. Things were getting back to normal.

She still hasn't been able to go back to Peep Show. She's had Mix and Sarah run things and she would over see from afar. She tried to go the other day but as soon as she walked through the door and saw the dressing room she froze. She didn't move at all or breathe. He had to carry her out.

Looking back, he realized he was one stupid fucker. There was a good woman trying to give herself to him and he let her walk away and it almost cost him. At least he got what he was hunting for.