Chapter 1: Introducing Me

Skylar POV

"Beep! Beep! Beep!" My alarm clock shrieked in its annoying, ear bleeding shrill. I raised my hand to punch the snooze button. Once it was punched, I climbed out of my bed, and to the dresser where my small mirror laid against the wall on my dresser. What I saw was a horrible but usual surprise: my hair was all tangled in its dark chocolate brown mess, and I kept rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I walked to the bathroom. I quickly brushed my teeth, splashed water on my face, & brushed my hair & put it up in a high ponytail. I dressed in dark jeans, purple sneakers, and a pink blouse. After applying lip balm multiple times, I headed downstairs for breakfast.

By the way, I don't think we've met. My name's Skylar. Skylar Miazaki. What there to say about me? Well, let's see: I have dark brown, almost chocolate brown hair. Also hazel eyes, we'll technically, they're brown fading to a yellow like hue, & for some reason drives the boys insane....about my eye color, not me! And I'm also 14. And...I'm in college. Yep. You're looking at a girl who has the IQ of...well... Y'know, let's skip the smart talk and get on with this.
So, yes. I'm smart. Like, Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein smart. & ever since I graduated, all my friends at my old school give me nicknames, like "Ms. Know-it-all!" And "Nerdy McNerdstein.(So lame!) Did it bother me? A bit, but I got used to it. I'm currently enrolled in the "nerd school" that is SanFransokyo Institute of Technolgy. I love it! It's pretty unique: designing your own inventions and trying them out! But it can get boring after a while. Even though I asked my mom to let me join a music school, all she said to me was,
"Skylar, you know what's best for you and that's to become a scientist! Like uncle Yuki was! & a future scientist DOES NOT play instruments of any kind, or sing! You can keep up you're music hobby when you get a gig at a bar or something." But what mom doesn't know about me & music: I become someone else when I get lost in music! I feel as if all my life troubles turn to water & just slip away from me when I sing! People always say that I have 'the voice of a golden throated angel',which I think is a compliment....However, mom still continues to support me. Because of my dad.

My dad...he was the best man who ever lived, in my perspective. Every day, he'd always encourage me and would say the words that never left my brain: 'Always be yourself '. Not to mention, my dad was a very known musician around the streets of San Fransokyo. They'd always call him Yumako "Hot shot!" Miazaki. The "hot shot"part being that when he 1st joined the world of music by entering in a competition. But this is no ordinary competition. I'm talking about San Fransokyo's legendary "Battle of the Bands"! Only the best of the best, or in other words, AMATEURS can enter, which I dreamt of doing! And my dad was an amateur at that time & he still was! And people loved him and his band: The Kamikazes!(Yes I know what it means, but they couldn't think of a better name!)They'd perform small gigs in bars or clubs or even weddings! And my dad enjoyed every minute of the fame, fortune, fans, popularity, everything! But...it all changed on that one fateful day.... I don't really feel comfortable thinking about it though. So, yep. But even to this day, I still remember my dad's words that keeps me up everyday: Always be yourself. And he even inspired me to follow my true passion of music and be the star I was meant to be.

So, now, that's another thing you know about me: I love music! I'm also a bit of tomboy & girly-girl-ish(yes that's my style, and I like it!)And I live in the uptown part of the city with my mom, Sakura, and my older sister, Kagomi.
And there's 1 more thing you gotta know: I don't really know WHY I have it, but I do: The Dragon Flame. It was said that long ago, a wise Emperor of Japan was the 1st keeper of the flame. Many enemies knew about it, and would do anything, yep ANYTHING! To get their hands on it. Because , the Dragon fire is said to be a powerful element in the Japanese universe, and is used to defend the country from opposing threats. And if it fell into the wrong hands...things could get very ugly. And I mean VERY ugly. And somehow, when a very horrible threat invaded Japan, one villager survived, and escaped to find the emperor. But what she found was a big surprise: the emperor lying face down on the floor...with a samurai sword in his back. The villager also found around his neck, A red pendant on a string that held the dragon fire. She remembered that the next person to find the pendant holding the power will be the next keeper, which was my great, great, great aunt Kyoko. And one thing led to another, and then, leads to the recent holder of the power: me. But I've only got to see my powers in action when fighting bad guys(yea, I train!) along with the powers of Technology, Nature, The Sun, Water, and Music.(don't ask how I got those powers.) I'm also trying to keep it as a secret from everyone, except my family since they, too, we're the previous owners. So basically, I'm an average teenager with supernatural powers all while trying to juggle school, my social life, and protecting the city with my awesome powers! Really complex, but I'm used to it!

I made my way downstairs, grabbed my backpack, lunch, phone & earbuds, said my goodbyes to my mom and sis, grabbed my breakfast off the table( spam musubi) and ran to catch up with the trolley. I collapsed into the 1st seat I found. And breathed in the fresh morning air. As the cart descended down a steep hill, I took deep breath and said,

"Good morning, San Fransokyo! Just another day of my life being me!" And sat back to enjoy the ride.