Blast to the past

Dinah Jane's POV

Let me tell you something. Camila has almost always had an "issue." She's always had some type of anxiety disorder but it was never specified. Her dad sat me down one day and told me to be careful with her and that she's extremely hyper sensitive and that anything could set her off, kind of like a bomb. There was no happy medium with her. Whenever she was sad she would just shut down and have this scary, blank look on her face. When she was happy she was bouncing of the walls and really happy. Sometimes I would get annoyed with her cause she simply didn't know when to stop and calm down. Honestly, I blame her dad. I feel bad for saying it but it's completely his fault. Up until third grade, she was fine. Karla Cabello was shy and quirky and funny but calm. She wouldn't let people put her down and if she got mad she would be surprisingly mature about it, for a nine year old at least. Then, in the middle of the school year her parents started the process of getting a divorce. She was still fine. She didn't put up a front or anything. When I asked her if she was okay all she did was shrug and say: "Sometimes mommies and daddies don't love each other like they did before. That doesn't mean they'll love me any less, Dinah. Plus, if they're gonna be happier then it's okay." And she gave me her priceless smile. So, I knew this isn't what was bothering her. Then, she showed up with a bruise on her arm. I didn't think much of it at first. Camila was clumsy. But...I started getting suspicious when...when she started showing up with bruises...every. single. day. They came in all shapes and sizes. She wore hoodies every day. I thought no one was that clueless but apparently people were. Or just chose to ignore it. Chose to ignore how Camila Cabello was not making stupid puns in class anymore. Or how every time we sang songs she would have the nicest voice and be the loudest. Or how she cried and screamed whenever we played tag and dodgeball in P.E where as before she used to (surprisingly) be the queen of dodge ball and  tag. My Camila was changing right before my eyes...and it broke my heart. I would go to high five her and she would flinch and her bottom lip would tremble and her eyes would water. She was a completely different person by 5th grade. One day I decided to investigate. Camila lived just down the street from me. I wish I hadn't waited for two whole years though. We were both EXTREMELY sheltered. But Camila got exposed to the harsh reality of life way too quickly.

"Can I come over today?" I asked

"Sure...wait, let me check if my dad is home." She said as we walked down the street Her small house came into view. There was no car in the driveway..."You can come in." She smiled shyly. I quite literally melted. I nodded shyly. "Want me to show you around? You haven't been over since since first grade." I nodded.

"Can I hold your hand, Mila?" Camila looked at me with a puzzled look on her face before nodding and grabbing my hand. I blushed. She showed me around before we finally made it back to her room. We laid there talking about everything and nothing.

"What's your dream guy, Cheechee?" She asked. I smirked.

"A girl." I said simply before slowly turning my head towards her as we laid on the floor.

"You're....lesbian?" Camila said, shocked.

"Uh yeah I think so. Like...remember when we had that class about sex? And we had to label stuff and we learned about 'intracourse?" I asked her.

"It's intercourse." Camila giggled and my face flushed in embarrassment.

"Yeah that...well Mrs. Roberts day that only girls and boys do intra- Intercourse but when I grow up, I wanna do intercourse with LOTS of girls." I said smiling. Camila laughed, really really hard.

"Dinah! How do girls have intercourse together! You can only be lesbian if you have boy parts! Like me!" Camila said casually.

"You have boy parts?" I asked curiously.