| three

SPENCER REID

SPENCER REID.

THERE IS NO OTHER WAY
to refer to the oh-so-lovely Sylvia Connelly as one of those pesky and noisy flies that merely hang around in the air instead of flying away. They get all up in your face, and when you sway it away it just comes right back to pester you some more. Maybe Sylvia's fly-ish behavior wasn't on purpose, but it was still annoying, the way she said some things and then ended up asking for forgiveness right afterwards. A human typically thinks about what they say before actually saying it—apparently Sylvia doesn't have that skill.

Maybe, I was messing with her on the plane, but my insults were barely harmful, while she just fully attacked my trauma which I haven't even fully recovered from. Yeah, it was upsetting and a low-blow. And yeah, I was mad at her but it's not like it mattered anyways because Sylvia could clearly care less about me.

She was just annoying.

And you know what? Instead of lashing out at her like I should've, I merely brushed it away and pretended like her words didn't affect me at all. I wanted to be the bigger person but honestly I really wished I snapped at her instead. Maybe I should've ruined her day like she ruined mine.

I can still do that. I thought, lost in my thoughts. There were a lot of things I could still do to mess with her—I could "accidentally" spill coffee all over her shirt, maybe trip her a couple of times...embarrass her in front of the team...there were a plethora of options. All in which seemed to lift my spirits a little as I imagined them.

My gaze flickered to Sylvia beside me in the passenger's seat. One of her legs was perched on top of the other, her elbow resting against the car window as she gazed outside, looking anywhere but in my direction. Even her body was angled away from me, her ass nearly off the seat in attempt to put as much distance between us as possible. It was a bit funny, if I was being honest.

I really didn't mean to start this never-ending war with Connelly. The first day we met, I simply thought that she was...pretty. Not just pretty, incredibly beautiful—and I guess that just made me a little too nervous. I compensated that feeling by acting like a complete dick to her. So really, it was my fault that we were like this.

But turns out it was reasonable of me to do so because Sylvia was truly a two-faced bitch. She was so close to my team yet did everything she could to either belittle me or ignore me when possible. It annoyed me how close she was with Derek and the others—I was envious of them, to be honest. Sylvia hated me, and all I've ever wanted was to get to know her.

Because truthfully, she seemed like a great person when she wasn't with me.

But I guess that's how it was. I wasn't going to go out of my way and try to get close to Sylvia when it was clear that she didn't want anything to do with me. I mean, it was just work, after all—work, a professional setting in which having friends wasn't even necessary. I didn't need her validation.