| thirty nine

SYLVIA CONNELLY

SYLVIA CONNELLY.

     "CONGRATULATIONS, MS.
Connelly," the nurse said with a smile.

I was sure that if my life were some stupid and cheesy cartoon, the ghost inhabiting my body would be flying straight out and I'd be collapsing onto the ground. I'd probably crack my skull open on that all too shiny floor and spill blood everywhere—but to be honest, that didn't sound all too bad at the moment.

This can't be happening right now, I thought. No. No no no—

I was honestly ashamed at how quickly I began thinking of ways to rid me of this thing. Abortion was obviously the safest option...I could also take a bunch ibuprofen...or should I jump off a bridge and bring this cell down with me? All of them combined for good measure?

I had my priorities straight. And right now, my priority was not bringing another human being into my life and fucking up theirs as well. It wasn't because I hated what was growing inside of me...I was just deathly afraid of it. I'd spent my entire life struggling, and once again, whatever superstitious being up in the clouds was throwing me yet another curveball as if I didn't have enough emotional baggage.

What was I supposed to do now? The mere image of me being pregnant, all chubby and unable to even bend down made me want to cry. Disgusting food cravings, mood swings (that are even worse then the ones I already have)—god, Spencer would run for the hills. Then I'd be left with a fatherless child who—

"—you're not pregnant!" And just like that, the nurse's chirpy voice shattered the horrific image in my mind, and I nearly fell out of my seat.

Wait. What?

"Huh?" I croaked out weakly, my entire head going light. I felt like I was going insane. Was life just some simulation or was I living in a nightmare? Was any of this real?

"Oh my! I didn't mean to scare you." The nurse exclaimed, frantically shaking her head. "I got the impression from earlier that you didn't want to be pregnant, which was why I said congratulations..." she said guiltily.

My mouth slowly fell open and I sighed heavily, the air rushing back into my lungs. Thank you, whoever is up there and watching me. Thank you so much.

The relief inside of me triumphed the tiny part that somewhat hoped that I was pregnant (which is ironic because five seconds ago I was thinking of ways to murder it.) But I was seriously so damn happy that I felt like I could start bawling. I couldn't even tell if I was more relieved or even more baffled as to how Spencer managed to influence me into thinking I was pregnant. I mean, I was glad he cared enough to do that...but still. So dramatic. I definitely should've seen it coming.

But that didn't mean I wasn't still upset at him. This entire thing...was probably a necessary scare, because I think it was time for me to take a step back from him. Spencer...I trusted him, but he did stuff like this that really made me doubt his motives. I mean, him asking me if I wanted kids yesterday, knowing I was possibly pregnant...was scary. Even though I knew Spencer would rather die than have malicious intent towards me. There were times where I just wished to crawl inside of his beautiful brain and figure out what the hell he was thinking.