| sixteen

SYLVIA CONNELLY

SYLVIA CONNELLY.

WHAT EXACTLY WAS HIS
problem?

This entire morning, Spencer Reid didn't utter to me a single word, barely even looking at me as we got ready for work. I was getting so sick of his presence and cockiness. He thought he was so much better than me, and I could tell by the way he confidently did his hair in the mirror.

And then the cologne. He had the right to douse himself in that delicious cologne that made me want to plunge my face straight into his neck and breathe him in.

So I made a point by spraying my perfume everywhere, hoping some of it got on him and that blonde receptionist bitch would smell it on him if they ended up fucking today.

"Connelly, Reid? Can I come in?" Derek was knocking on the door, and I was washed with relief, throwing it open and smiling like an idiot because I had been desperate to see someone else's face other than the other man in the room.

"Derek!" I screeched, tackling him with a hug.

"Oh—Jesus, Syl." Derek strained out, awkwardly patting my back. "You alright, kid?"

"I'm great." I said, slightly scowling.

Derek looked over my shoulder at Spencer, who's jaw was clenched shut as he scrolled through his cell phone. "Just making sure you two didn't tear each other apart. Figuratively and literally."

I rolled my eyes dramatically, scoffing. "Don't even. Me and Reid are civil."

"Civil, huh?" He asked, looking between us.

"Totally." Spencer grunted.

"Anyways, we're meeting in five downstairs." Derek said.

"Cool. I'm hungry." I said, ready to bolt out the room.

"They don't serve breakfast here." Spencer said.

I scowled, my posture slumping. "Way to rain on my parade."

"Welcome."

I rolled my eyes, leaving the hotel room anyways.

"So, Reid. How was your morning?" Derek asked, as I walked out the door. I was curious for his answer, but my eyebrows furrowed when Spencer went silent. I paused outside the room, listening in. Why was I even curious of how his morning was?

"Sylvia walking in with her workout clothes on was the first thing I saw when I woke up." He grunted from inside the room.

The hell? Why was he talking about me? My expression morphed into slight disgust, ready to turn away before he called me fat or something.

"Oh shoot. Danger danger." Derek's voice was teasing. "She's got some nice abs."

"I know. I-I got really nervous, and I think she knows that I did, which makes me even more nervous, and I literally—" Spencer started rambling quickly. I completely froze.