| seventeen

SYLVIA CONNELLY

SYLVIA CONNELLY.

          MY CHEEKS BURNED WITH
red hot embarrassment as I gazed at Spencer who was staring down at me with taunting eyes. I shot him a deadly glare in return. He knew. He knew I thought he was attractive, he knew that he was my type, he knew that my heart beat like crazy whenever he was near.

I've never felt more vulnerable in my entire life. Vulnerable to Spencer and his crappy personality and habit of breaking probably every woman's heart out there. It didn't matter if he liked me too, he still was going to be an asshole no matter what. This was Spencer we were talking about, as charming as he could be. He was manipulative.

But it's fine. I'm fine. I can fake it. I can still pretend that I didn't like him—there was still some dignity in me.

"Fine." I said, my voice sharp with bitterness as I shrugged his hand off my shoulder, ignoring how warm his touch felt.

I hoped that at least Emily or JJ would join us, but when I looked back, no one was following. I swallowed my pride, stepping inside the car as Spencer pulled up the GPS.

As he (attractively) pulled out of the parking lot, craning his upper body around to look through the back window, his hand reaching for the edge of my seat for stability. Instead, his hand grabbed my shoulder aimlessly, and I visibly flinched.

"Sorry." Spencer grunted, reversing from the spot, and then turning back and pulling out onto the road. I stared at him the entire time, taking in his focused features as he did so, surprised that he was a responsible driver. I didn't notice it before, but driving looked good on him.

He really wasn't making any of this easier for me.

"I...only asked you to partner up with me because my vision hasn't been the sharpest, so I need your eyes. You have good eyes." Spencer said, clearing his throat.

I furrowed my eyebrows, sensing the...nervousness? Awkwardness? In his voice. It was so uncharacteristic that I was slightly shocked. Maybe...he was actually nervous of me this morning, and not over my body. Maybe...he was nervous because he liked me.

No way.

"JJ and Emily have perfect vision too, Reid." I deadpanned. Just say it. Say you wanted me with you.

Spencer visibly gulped, letting out a soft sigh. "I guess your right. I-I don't know why I made you stick with me." He chuckled, my jaw nearly dropping when he stuttered.

He sounded so nervous, I was beginning to wonder if he was that afraid of me.

"Since you like me that much..." I said, my voice teasing. Oh, the irony. "I don't really mind." And it was true.

"Really?" Spencer asked, glancing at me for a quick moment.

"I don't hate you, Reid." I mumbled. No! You have to hate him!