| thirty four

SYLVIA CONNELLY

SYLVIA CONNELLY.

THE REMAINDER OF THE
morning was absolutely disastrous, but in the best way ever. After I got ready for work, I went back downstairs to see Spencer in my kitchen making us both breakfast. The toast ended up being burnt and the eggs were most definitely undercooked, but he looked so proud of himself so I didn't say anything about it.

But I also threw up afterwards...so I don't think it would've mattered. And even though I reassured him and said I just felt a little sick today, the poor guy looked like the world was crashing on top of him. Spencer's reaction was hilariously dramaticin the span of ten minutes he had diagnosed me with about ten different illnesses, even though I told him multiple times that I felt fine.

After the nausea finally faded, we drove to work, both of us running for our lives into the office because we were forty minutes late. I went in first so that it wouldn't be suspicious—it was a pathetic attempt to play this whole thing off, because obviously the BAU wasn't stupid and Spencer stepping inside of the conference room only five minutes after me (while wearing the same outfit from yesterday), was definitely suspicious as hell.

"What happened to you two?" Hotch asked as we settled into our seats, sitting as far away as possible from the other.

"M-My car wouldn't turn on, so I took the subway." I stammered to him with a curt and awkward nod. Hotch raised his eyebrows, glancing over at Spencer.

"Traffic." He grunted.

Very convincing, dumbass. Great job. I rolled my eyes. There was a sudden awkward silence in the room, making me shift around uncomfortably. The team just sat there silently, either staring at me or Spencer with weird looks on their faces.

"The fuck is wrong with you all today?" I suddenly asked with a nonchalant scoff, trying to act all casual regardless of how aggressive it came out. I wasn't sure why that question was the best thing I could come up with, but I literally couldn't find anyway else to shift the attention from Spencer and I. Therefore, I projected, and it was obvious as hell.

Derek suddenly snorted, choking on his breakfast burrito and coughing into his sleeve while laughing quietly. I swore I saw Hotch also crack a smile, which made my face grow even redder. Spencer was on the other side of the room, staring off at a wall and being no help whatsoever.

"What?" I asked Derek with a glare, reaching over and snatching his burrito, taking the biggest bite out of it that I could manage.

"Sylvia!" Derek complained.

"Are there...mushrooms in this? Oh my god." I said, grabbing a napkin and spitting it out. I heard a few chuckles, immediately relieved that they had moved on.