| thirty eight

SPENCER REID

SPENCER REID.

I COULDN'T STOP THINKING
about the way Sylvia was acting yesterday. At first, I didn't think much of the puking and nausea, but of course my overthinking brain had to go superman on me and implanted the possibility of Sylvia being pregnant into my head. Sure, it normally took a few days or even a week for clear symptoms to show, and sure, Sylvia was on birth control, and sure, we didn't finish that night...but still.

She's definitely pregnant. Yeah, there's no other explanation.

Oh wait a minute! Maybe there was like, I don't know, the fact that she ate my undercooked eggs that morning, or the fact that she ate sushi a few days prior to that. But neither of those options crossed my mind, because I was paranoid, okay? Sylvia and I were finally getting somewhere and I didn't want to screw this up.

Especially now that I knew that she really didn't want kids at this time. When I asked Sylvia about it last night, she went pale as a ghost, meaning that she was definitely not ready for that. Hell, I wasn't even sure if I'd be ready for that. But obviously, Sylvia's feelings were my priority.

But...I've always wanted kids. And now, I was turning 30 and had a woman in my life who kind of liked me but at the same time was also terrified of falling for me. So yeah, I didn't think having a family was next on my list, as much as I'd always fantasized about having one.

I knew that Sylvia was going to hate me for this. But I couldn't risk it. There were so many signs that she wasn't pregnant with my kid but I really didn't want to risk it. And I especially didn't want her to pass the three months to get an abortion if she wanted to.

I had no clue how she was going to take this information, and what she was going to do with it. All I really knew was that Sylvia was definitely mad at me.

"I'm not talking about that kind of sick."

"What?" Her voice was quiet, almost a whisper. I felt my heart slowly sink, realizing how devastated she sounded, like it was by far the worst thing that ever happened to her. Of course, I wasn't one to judge because I was a man, but still...it hurt a little bit.

"You think I'm pregnant?" Sylvia asked me, her voice sharp as ever.

"I-I don't know, I just think we should go to the—"

"Spencer," Sylvia started, her voice quiet. "Have you completely lost it?!"

I rolled my eyes, letting out a heavy sigh. Denial. Should've seen that one coming. "Sylvia, I just wanna make sure. It's not a big deal, we can go to the clinic and—"

"We are not going anywhere. Spencer, you're absolutely insane! I'm on birth control—I'm not pregnant!" She snapped. Okay, now she was getting mad. That was fine.