[14]

25th March

***

I watched silently as raindrops battered against the window of the lounge, the wind howling every so often against the houses that lined the street. The clouds above held a grey tint as the rain fell over the city, boring no signs of letting up. The weather had been forgiving for March with the sun making an appearance most days, something that was practically unheard of for early Spring in London.

Isabella let out a sound of frustration from where she was sat on the rug, her hands hitting a square block against a circle shaped hole as she attempted to push it through. I chuckled at her determination as she refused to give up, just as stubborn as me I thought. Although, it wasn't necessarily a good thing. 

She'd changed so much in the past week or so; it almost felt as if she was growing up before my eyes, even if she was only seven and a half months. I had even cried on the phone to Mum a few nights previous because she'd grown out of size 3-6 month clothes, of course Mum had just laughed and told me it was all part of Motherhood.

I made my way over to where she was sat and crouched down in front of her, her blue eyes looking up from the toy and following me as I did so. She was so close to saying her first word, for the past week I'd been telling people it would be "any day now"  and everyday I'd be proved wrong as she just stared back at me blankly, her lips remained shut.

"Say Mama," she stared back at me as if I was stupid as I repeated the phrase in attempt to get her to copy me, "Say Mama baby, so we can tell Dada that your first word was for me and not him." 

"Dada."

My eyes grew wide as Isabella looked up at me blankly, completely unaware that she'd just said her first word. My mouth twisted into a wide grin as I pulled her into my lap and hugged her tightly, much to her displeasure as she struggled to get back to the light up toy piano she was playing with on the floor. 

"Oh my God," I laughed, "You just said your first word! I'm so proud of you baby!"

I grabbed my phone from the sofa and quickly unlocked it, pressing on Harry's contact and video calling him. The phone rang for a minute, the tone sounding out before the screen went black and the option to retry appeared. I groaned in frustration as I read the time, 7:16pm, meaning in Indonesia it would be past 2am and he would, most likely, be asleep. I gave it another attempt whilst feeling slightly guilty that I may wake him up before remembering my promise to call him if anything ever happened, no matter the hour. 

I frowned in frustration as the screen turned to black again and rubbed my forehead, Isabella stared back at me with curiosity before repeating the word again. Of course she'd choose a time when Harry was asleep to say her first word, especially when it was Dada and not Mama. 

I quickly opened the camera on my phone and pressed record, pointing it in the direction of Isabella before speaking.

"Hey so, Isabella has something she wants to say to you," I smiled as I spoke, "say Dada Bella."

She stared back at me and I prepared myself to take the video multiple times before she would say it again, or even if she'd say it at all. But a couple of seconds passed before she smiled widely and waved her arms, causing her entire body to jump slightly.

"Dadadada."

I laughed loudly as she repeated the syallables proudly, her chubby cheeks a little bit red and swollen due to a couple of teeth coming through.

"I tried to FaceTime you but I think you're asleep, but there you go! Dada is her first word...and I am gutted about it"

I grinned at the camera as I turned it to face me before ending the video and sending it to him, hoping that he wouldn't be too upset that he missed it and the fact that she said 'Dada' before 'Mama' would make up for it.