[21]

16th May 2015

***

The sunlight streaming in through the thin material of the curtains woke me the next morning, the light casting a slight glow throughout the room. I frowned, the house still silent and the bed empty besides me. For a second I wondered whether last night had been an exhaustion-induced dream, but the unmade bed beside me and the lack of clothes on my body confirmed I hadn't made it up.

The events of last night replayed in my head like a never ending movie. My head continued to argue with my heart as I questioned whether I was doing the right thing; I knew my feelings for Harry went deeper than him being the father of my child but the fear of going through everything again made my stomach turn.

The clock on the bedside table confirmed that it was already mid-morning as I rubbed my eyes, feeling the most well-rested I had in a long time. For the past nine months I'd not slept beyond 7am and, while my body was crying out for an extra couple hours of sleep, a wave of panic rushed over me realising I hadn't woken up for Isabella.

I groaned as I sat up, reaching and grabbing Harry's shirt and a pair of shorts from nearby and pulling them onto my body.

"Harry?" I called out, receiving no answer as my voice echoed through the house. My heartbeat quickened as the seconds ticked by and still no answer came.

"Har-" I stopped mid-sentence as I approached the doorway of the lounge and my eyes settled upon Harry lay on the sofa with Isabella asleep on his chest.

His eyes were closed and his lips slightly parted as soft snores escaped from his mouth in time with his chest rising and falling. Isabella lay on his bare chest with her eyes closed, one hand gripping Harry's messy hair where it lay on his shoulders. I smiled softly to myself, leaning against the doorframe as I watched the two of them sleeping soundly.

The sound of my camera taking a photo sounded through the room and Harry opened his eyes, turning his head to face me as a smile appeared on his lips.

"I figured you could use the sleep." He whispered, not wanting to wake the sleeping baby placed on his chest.

"Yeah, thanks...do you want me to take her?" I replied, moving to take a step forward before he sat up slightly. He shook his head as he supported Isabella's tiny body with one hand, the other pushing his own body up from its position on the sofa.

"I think she'll be okay in her rocker."

I nodded, watching him bend down and place her into the rocker and securing the straps over her body. He checked the straps were secure multiple times before nodding and placing a kiss to her head.

"Coffee?" I offered as he followed me into the kitchen. He nodded, watching me as I prepared the two mugs on the counter, mine with a fruit teabag and his with coffee and sugar.

"You look good in my shirt." His hands found their way around my waist as his head rested on my shoulder, his breathe tickling my ear as he spoke. I didn't reply, focusing my concentration on filling the two mugs with the now boiled water. I felt him sigh, pulling his arms away and taking the cup I offered him and leaning back against the counter opposite me.

"You don't regret it, do you?"

"No." I answered, turning around to face him but keeping my eyes fixed on the fruity smelling drink in my hands, "I'm just confused, I don't know if we're doing the right thing."

My voice sounded so small as it sounded through the room, I hated how vulnerable I felt stood in front of him; as if he held my heart in his hands and there was nothing I could do to change it. His reply didn't come instantly, almost as if his feelings mirrored my own.