i. | Visit You Tomorrow

C H A P T E R   O N EVisit   You   Tomorrow

Visit You Tomorrow

With a bejeweled hair clip in her hair and uncomfortable pearl earrings attached to her ears, Delia stepped out of her carriage. Her dress was no voluptuous ball gown but it was indeed long and made from old fabric. Hands sweaty, she quickly grabbed her things and stood on the beige coloured road.

     "Is there someone who's suppose to be picking you up, Miss?" The coachman asked, Delia turned to look at him in the eye and nodded lightly.

     "It seems that they're late, I wouldn't mind keeping you company." He offered, friendly, toothy smile on the coachmen's face. Delia lit up in excitement, finally, some company.

"Who is it you are waiting for?" The man questioned in a sour tone. Hastily, she replied with, "My aunt, I haven't seen her in many years but she's always been good to me..." The coachman smiled and nodded, his eyes were focused on the horizon.

"What's your name?" Delia was curious, the kind coachman's name was still a mystery.

"Samuel is the name, Miss Acker." He uttered, a reassuring chuckle came out from the man's lips. "Lovely to meet you, Samuel." A tint of a accent was layered over her voice and he turned to Delia with a eager expression.

"Are you from America?"

     "I was born and raised in Britain until I was 5. It was a lovely place, I could only imagine to be there once more." The young girl explained her origins and the man looked back at the sunset.

There a long period of silence that had fell between the two recently made friends but it was quickly broken by Delia's words.

"Tell me a bit about you, Samuel the coachman." Samuel focussed back onto her as he opened his mouth to talk.

     "I was born not far from Massachusetts. I have a wife who loathes being poor and a son who is brilliant and adventurous. He's 7, his birthday was just about a week ago. I wish I had been there but I had to sit in this god awful carriage and ride off into the sunset." Samuel's eyes had turned glossy and his spirit turned dim but Delia put her cold yet sweaty hand on his shoulder, squeezing it just strong enough for him to feel her notion.

"You should go to them. It's never too late to wish someone happy birthday, and a week isn't a excuse." She advised Samuel, hoping he would take her advice. Maybe it would mend his and his family's relationships she thought.