xxiii. Epiphany

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - T H R E EEpiphany

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T H R E E
Epiphany

It seemed a though Laurie's trip flew past her mind when Delia finally realized that he was gone the very next day

It seemed a though Laurie's trip flew past her mind when Delia finally realized that he was gone the very next day. He didn't come over to Delia's house to say his goodbyes, he just upright left silently.

That whole night, every single fragment of that day flashed through her mind as she tried to comprehend what had happened. She could've been an engaged woman that day... but she wasn't.

The first thing she had asked herself in the morning was, would she marry him if he asked again today? The answer seemed clear as day, she didn't say it aloud but nodded rapidly to herself. Then her stomach dropped, remembering what he had told her a few days prior. He was gone.

This inconvenience only made Delia's urge to want to run after him even bigger. He was gone by the time Delia had woken up, it was no use.

"Oh, lord..." Delia muttered in panic, scratching her scalp with her fingernails. She then jumped off of her bed, running over to the bedside table, recalling where she had placed ink, a quill and a few thin, off-white sheets of paper. 

Stretching her arm, she took the quill and dipped it carelessly into the ink pad, causing the quill to get smeared all over her hand. That will be hard to clean off later, she thought while continuing to write.

"Dearest Theodore, I seem to not have realized the mistake I had made the day prior, during your proposal— no, no, no..." Delia read aloud what she had written so intensely onto the paper, realizing how ridiculous it sounded. She crumpled up the paper and placed it next to her thigh as she sat on the edge of her bed, using the bedside table as a desk.

     "Dearest Theodore, I wish you were here so I could admit how terribly wrong I was to doubt my feelings towards you. If you asked me again, I would accept your proposal of marriage and forget the godforsaken consequences of being with you. I love you to the moon and back—" before she could finish reading all the words packed into the letter, Delia found her hand smudge the freshly applied ink, causing the paper to look messy.