xxii. Back and Forth

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - T W O Back   And   Forth

Back   And   Forth

A few days later Delia found herself standing on the vast farmed land

A few days later Delia found herself standing on the vast farmed land. Her hands were covered in bug bites and soot. Her hair was done up so it wouldn't get dirty, though she was sure she could see the ends of her hair a dirty brown colour. She was wearing overalls that she burrowed from the farm.

If she had a few drinks she could possibly find herself appealing to the eye but she was sombre and completely sober.

Delia found herself always wiping the sweat from her hands onto her overalls, causing brown spots and damp marks to gradually appear on her clothes.

That day she was assigned to dig holes for fruit seeds to go in. She had a lot of lands and not a lot of time to complete her job. Though luckily for her, she was paid hourly and not based off of how amazing her work was.

She had already worked numerous hours before she was let go by her boss. She had about two more hours until she was finished work.

"You're free to go, Acker." Her boss had said, pointing for her to get the hell out.

Without uttering another word, she took off her overalls and put on her spring coat. Washing her hands gently before heading off to the road.

Still confused, Delia furrowed her eyebrows, curious as to who had tipped her boss to let her go early. It seemed to be a simple answer in her mind, Laurie.

"Theodore Laurence... who gave you permission to pick me up early?" She questioned, standing with her legs a shoulders length apart and hands crossed.

"I did, m'lady. Now, if you wouldn't mind..." Laurie took Delia's hand and guided her up into the carriage.

"What's the meaning of this? You don't do this on a normal occasion." Delia inquired, crossing her arms and eyeing Laurie with suspicion.