xiii. | The Invitation

C H A P T E R   T H I R T E E N The   Invitation

The Invitation

Arry Whitby was quite the boy, he spent most of his time looking after his friends because their parents were too busy to care for them. He was a free boy with plenty of time on his hands.

And then Delia Acker, the princess in her room came and tapped on his shoulder. Arry was shocked but he wasn't one to overreact, so he just gave her a curious smile.

That day they talked and talked while Arry tried to avoid trouble with the boys. They were little monsters, hyper dogs, they could run around all day and never get tired.

Delia was an undiscovered room that he wanted to explore but he couldn't find the key to open the door. Sure she was pretty, but she was quite shy and secretive, she seemed very closed off.

After a while of talking to her, she finally let him in on some personal topics and Arry made some snarky and dumb comments which caused them to refuse to talk to each other for a while. They made amends though and everything between them was alright.

It had been quite a long time after she and he first became friends and that day, Delia and him were talking as usual. The boys were in the fields while Arry was trying to cure his boredom and his insanity.

"Where do you live? I don't ever see you walking home by yourself." Delia asked, she was curious, friends knew each other's addresses, Arry didn't get that though.

"My home is none of your business, it's nothing exciting," Arry replied, leaning back on his brittle chair that he had brought with him that day.

"Everything is exciting if you make it exciting. You're just being a closed-off nymph like always."

"Delia Acker! That insult is absurd, how rude—"

"Delia! A letter arrived, the twins are causing a mess inside, I have to go quick." Mother Acker seemed to be in a panic, she was sweating and looked like a nervous wreck.

Once Delia took the envelope from her hands, she ran back into her home immediately. There was a smirk on Delia's face, her mother didn't look at this letter. She finally got the privacy she wanted.

Delia was sure her mother had cracked the code for the many letters that arrived from Massachusetts with only numbers written inside of them. She was a smart lady, though there was a possibility she simply didn't have the time to crack all of the numeric codes.

In the many, many days of her return to New Hampshire, Delia and her friends from Concord frequently exchanged letters. It seemed that they wrote one every day and so Delia's mail would be filled with many notes. This was something she had to entertain herself, her nostalgia and weak feeling. Her hands shook with excitement as she opened the envelope and took out the letter.