viii. | That Morning

C H A P T E R   E I G H TThat   Morning

That   Morning

That morning Delia woke up in a cozy and warm bed. She could recall last night, Jo was humble enough to let her sleep in her bed which of course, Delia tried to argue and refuse to accept her offer but Jo being her, insisted on lending her bed to Delia.

When she woke up, Delia could see Jo sleeping in a rocking chair without a care in the world, it seemed like she was having a good nights rest because she didn't wake up when Delia tripped and fell to the ground.

It was a loud thump and she was sure she woke up some of the other people living in the house. Her ankle hurt but she could still walk just fine so she peeked at the other girls who were still sleeping soundly.

Delia took her left hand and laid it on the railings of the stairs, sliding her hand down as she stepped down the steps to the floor ground. She could smell a bright and flavourful aroma come from the kitchen, the smell made Delia ever so hungry, and though she wanted to stay to eat, she knew she would probably have to go home.

"Delia, I see you're awake, good morning." Marmee twisted her head around to look at Delia while she was setting up the dinner table for breakfast.

"Good morning, is anyone else awake at this time?" Delia asked in her cool voice, she felt shy seeing as she just woke up, she usually looked like a mess in the morning and this she knew. Her hair would be all tangled and her eyes would be red, puffy and watery and her lips would be dry, let's just say it wasn't a good look and never will be.

"Hannah is up and awake, I'm just setting up the table while she's cooking." Mrs. March confirmed, Delia nodded and waved the air at her to smell the delicious food. It's like the opposite of what you do when there's smoke that came from a fire and it's everywhere.

"It smells delicious, tell her I wish I could stay and eat." Delia said, looking sadly at the dinner table and at the kitchen. Hannah wasn't there and Delia just assumed she was getting something from the pantry of some sort. She knew that if she walked into the kitchen and looked at the food, she couldn't help but stay.

"You aren't staying?" Mrs. March raised her eyebrows at her in slight surprise.

"Well, I should get back, I don't want my Aunt and—"

"Halt! Stop right there, you are staying for breakfast." Jo stumbled down the stairs with pace, stopping Delia from walking out the door.

"I— Jo, you know I can't." Delia sighed, looking a bit miserable at her position.

"I know you can, just do it this one time. Hannah's food is always delicious, just take a little bite, your walk home will be with a full stomach if you do." Jo's argument was too powerful and too persuasive, she was a good debater and Delia didn't have a choice but to nodded her head and say yes.