ix. | The Last Straw

C H A P T E R   N I N E The   Last   Straw

The   Last   Straw

Morning walks never usually bothered Delia Acker, she was quite fond of them, to be honest. When she was back at home she would try and take a walk in the bright early hours of the morning but sometimes her mother would forbid her from going out, she always had an excuse for Delia not to go out, it led her to sneak out for walks once in a while. She wouldn't walk far, just enough to waste 20 minutes of her day.

Her sisters wanted to go out but they weren't rebellious with their actions but with their words. Delia had more freedom there in Concord since her Aunt and Uncle didn't seem to give a damn about her and her safety but maybe they were stalking her this whole time, it could be a possibility.

The morning walk from that day had set Delia in a good mood for the rest of the long hours to come, she was ready to go back to what she called to be her home.

A few feet away from her house, she could hear yelling, though she couldn't pinpoint where the loud voices were coming from, she assumed it was her aunt and uncle once again fighting. She could've knocked on the door and let her curiosity sit aside as she tried to ignore the warning signs but she was too curious, that or she just couldn't bring herself to knock on the door.

"—gone for many many hours! I hope she and her little friends are having fun because their fun will end soon!" Aunt Marie yelled with all her might, it sounded like Delia was in the house herself and not outside listening through the door.

"What choice do we have, Marie? What will your sister think? You've been trying to get on your sister's good side this whole time. What good has she written in the letters you receive from her?" Uncle Daryl questioned, he was questioning everything at that moment, clearly, he didn't want to see a poor girl ripped of her happiness.

"We always had a choice, we let the girl go! She's causing us a lot of trouble and the troubles not worth it! I'll gain my sister's trust another way." Aunt Marie explained her grand scheme and Delia's heart drops, all the air from her lungs was sucked out and she felt speechless, her hand reached up to touch her lips as she tried not to scream.

"We can't do that, Marie, we just can't, not the poor, ill child."

"She's not ill, Daryl, she's mad, she's mental." Delia felt betrayed as she heard those words be spoken from her aunt, everything that they were to each other was a lie, maybe it was better to go home anyway, she thought hopelessly to herself.

"We won't give her to the mental asylum, that's done and spoken but, I'll think about letting her go home, she doesn't belong here, if she finds out about this it'll be catastrophic." A girl like her wouldn't survive in a mental asylum, would they even put her there? The thought consumed her and made her tired from worry, that good mood she was in after the walk was wiped away immediately.