xv. | Flowers and Honey

C H A P T E R   F I F T E E N Flowers   And   Honey

Flowers   And   Honey

It seemed like the party just started when Meg and John rode off in their carriage, away to their home.

Delia could feel Jo's disgust as they rode away, while as Meg was waving and laughing. There was clearly tension between the two eldest March sisters.

Delia was afraid to ask Jo about it, she was afraid Jo wouldn't appreciate her concern and things would change between the two friends. Thinking back on it, Delia was just overthinking everything.

As the family friends and relatives rode off on their carriages home, Delia found the only people there left were, the March Family, Laurie, Mr. Lawrence, Delia and her sisters. The venue looked
so sad, so empty and lonely.

Charlotte and Harriet were still hyper, probably because they drank and ate any sweet thing they could find. Delia shunned them but they just laughed at her and disregarded her concern.

"Charlotte, Harriet, I'm giving you the responsibility of walking back home alone, alright? Don't you dare pull anything funny, if I don't see you back by the time I'm home, I'll tell mother and you'll never go on another trip in your life, understood?" Delia pointed her finger at the two of her sisters, speaking sternly and in a deeper voice which made the hyperactive kids laugh and jump around but running off into the direction of the river bend near their home.

"I hope this is a good time for us to catch up... alone." Laurie approached Delia with a grim expression, waiting for her response.

"It's good enough." The girl sighed, following Laurie to a nearby clearing of the trees. It was a vast hill that took 5 minutes of walking and running combined. Nevertheless, the two of them made it there in a haste.

The air there seemed colder yet fresher to Delia. She could feel the wind blowing away strands of her golden locks of hair and the cold breeze blowing against her face. The sun was starting to set, an assortment of colours was painted in the sky.

"It's lovely, isn't it?" Laurie exhaled with his hands in his pant pockets.

"It really is," Delia acknowledged the sky like a masterpiece, feeling allured by all the screaming colours that were slowly fading into the inevitable dark starry night.

"Almost as pretty as you." Delia turned her head to glare at Laurie before sitting down on the grassy hill and cuddling her legs to her chest.

"In my eyes, that is," Laurie added, taking a seat next to Delia on her left-hand side.

"You haven't talked to me much today, it's unlike you." He frowned.

"Just because I haven't talked to you much, doesn't mean I'm not like myself," Delia stated, letting out a grumble afterwards. She felt uncomfortable, she knew Laurie felt the same.