xvii. | Emotions Will Fade

C H A P T E R   S E V E N T E E N Emotions   Will   Fade

Emotions   Will   Fade

Delia was back in New Hampshire before she knew it. Harriet and Charlotte seemed to be satisfied with their trip and they stayed quiet during the ride home.

Delia would occasionally ask them how they were and how they thought the trip went. The two twins would reply with a "Good!" or "I loved it!" And then that would be the end of another conversation.

Harriet could see Delia was uncomfortable, it was clear to her that her sister was not okay. Delia was tapping her leg and always wiping sweat from her hands onto her dress. Charlotte seemed to catch on quickly to Delia's emotions as well.

Delia felt horrible, she felt as though she was forced to say, "I love you," back to Laurie, even though she didn't reciprocate those strong emotions.

Sure, she liked Laurie, she liked him in a romantic way. The way Laurie had acted made Delia shift in her seat just thinking about it. She had a feeling in her gut that something horrid would happen, something that would change her perspective on everything.

What was Laurie going to do? She wanted to know, she wished she had looked further into it. Maybe it was a mistake to leave him. What was going on in his mind?

* * * * *

One step out of the carriage and Delia saw Arry standing there next to the carriage awaiting her arrival.

"Missed me?" Delia grinned weakly, forcing a smile.

"I'm not sure... it did feel nice not having you here always pestering me." Arry teased her, getting a good look at Delia.

"God, I just remembered how much I hate your jokes." Delia sighed, rolling her eyes and holding back a smile.

"Hey, you put up with them." Arry chuckled.

"Hey! You two, move out of the way, we need to get past!" Charlotte yelled at Delia who had just realized she was standing on the step of the carriage this whole conversation with Arry. She quickly stepped off the carriage and thanked the coachman.

"Are you alright? There seems to be something wrong." Arry furrowed his eyebrows, gazing down at Delia. The girl shook her head, refusing to look up at her friend.

"How can you tell?" Delia mumbled, running to the back to help the coachman with the suitcases.

"There's a darkness in your eyes, you aren't as lively." Arry murmured a response, following Delia and offering his hand in carrying the luggage, which Delia agreed to.