vii. | Delia's Note

C H A P T E R   S E V E NDelia's   Note

Delia's Note

Surprisingly, Theodore Laurence managed to come to a dinner hosted by Marie and Daryl, Delia's Aunt and Uncle. God forbid anything bad to happen.

Delia was sitting in her wooden glazed chair, the feet were quite wobbly which wasn't to her liking but she dealt with it like she did the many days she sat there.

"Thank you for letting me come over for dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Acker." Laurie tried to talk his way through the forest of unsettling silence. The house was usually silent, Marie and Daryl were very quiet and mysterious people and Delia was usually out playing with the March sisters and or Laurie.

"It's nothing, Dear Theodore. Though, Delia doesn't talk about you much..." there was a little twinkle in Aunt Marie's eyes that one moment and Delia caught it.

"Well, Delia is a private person, I'm sure she likes to keep her virtues, morals and general secrets a secret." Laurie replied, there was a hint of panic in his voice when he spoke.

You, are not my virtue, you, are not one of my morals, and certainly not one of my secrets, Delia thought ferociously in her mind but it did do something to her heart when he said that. Her heartbeat seemed louder in her ears and her stomach was filling with sensations... was it butterflies? Maybe it was the idea of Laurie eating with Delia's family that made her nerves bubble up. The rustling in the room became louder and louder in her ears and her ears were ringing.

"Theodore Laurence, you are not one of my little secrets! Now, if you'll excuse me—"

"I should leave now." Laurie interrupted Lia, standing up and preparing to head out in a wink, he offered his hand out to the girl who took it shakily from boiling emotions. Once they reached the outside, she slapped his hand away immediately and shut the front door.

"Since when are you a twister of words, Laurie?" Delia snapped in a yelling voice.

"You are not my secret." She said firmly, Laurie stepped back and looked up at the dark, star-filled sky.

"And neither are you." He mumbled, "Then what were you saying back there?"

"What first came to my mind, Lia." He uttered softly, drawing in close to her once again. Delia felt sweat building up on her skin. She felt Laurie's breath brushing against her cheek and neck.

"Now's not the time for your sweet little nicknames. I... I forgot what I was going to say..." Delia sighed, scratching her head and letting out her breath while looking at the ground, trying to make distance between her and him.