Prologue

The night sky blanketed the north, bringing silver light to the world below as the moon rose within the sky. Stars gently shined beside it, decorating the darkness with beauty. Trees softly whispered as the wind raced through them, shaking their dying leaves to the ground. Chipmunks and squirrels scurried along, collecting food for the oncoming winter months. The rivers were empty of fish as they swam south, seeking its warmer waters. Birds were silent, along with the crickets that would chirp throughout the night. It was almost peaceful, if screams weren't cutting through the silence. 

A small boy huddled in the corner, his eyes wide as he watched the man before him torture a rogue. He wanted to tell his father to stop, but he had learned the consequences of interrupting his father's work. 

"Darling, come here, I don't want you watching this."

The boy bolted to his mother as her arms wrapped around him, shielding him from the violence. His father spun around, glaring at them. "Crystal, you know you're not allowed down here."

"I know, but he shouldn't be here. He's only five years old."

"He needs to see what alphas are supposed to do when a mutt runs onto his territory."

Crystal's eyes sparked with anger, "Torture isn't what a true alpha is supposed to do."

"Don't challenge me, whore."

"Mama..."

Glancing down, she instantly relaxed and lifted the boy into her arms. She gently placed a kiss on his temple while whispering loving words into his ear. She gave her husband a hateful stare before turning her back to him, angering him even more. Before she could step foot out of the cell, he yanked her back by her hair. Her son screamed they both tumbled to the ground, his elbow scraping against the rock. 

"Don't you dare turn your back to me!" 

"MAMA!"

"Alpha?"

Snapping out of his memories, he slightly acknowledged his beta. "Yes?"

"You received an invitation."

A/N: So, during my one week of staying inside my house I'm going to be working on this story and my Hades one. :) Let me know what you think!